I personally think you should throw something with a little substance into the mix, granola bars, Clif bars, etc. - If your stomach can handle it. I just think those types of solids give you a bit more kick.
it looks like an olympic distance triathlon. what I've been doing is a light brekkie(nothing too hard like porridge or muesli and yoghurt) Then 3x GU's 30min before the race.
a couple of them for the race (one on the bike, one on the run, if)
I know it sounds gross to have and water should suffice. It's only 2 hours
Depends on how hard you are pushing your body. For an OLY, I would not over do it on nutrition. For a sprint I only took one GU pack pre-race. For an OLY, maybe 2 GU packs on the bike? I would stage them when you start the bike and like 10 minutes til you get off. If you are feeling it maybe the NUUN right at the start of the run.
Just be careful to not over do it. My first TRI (Olympic distance) I did the whole race with no nutrition and felt fine. If you have been training with nutrition then incorporate it in your race. If not, don't go messing with what your body is used to.
Derek The most important thing is to NEVER try something on race day that you haven't practised in training.
No matter what who says, you race at a higher intensity than what you race at even if you aren't planning it, it is just human we do go harder. If you try something new in training the stress is lower and your stomach can tolerate it.
If you try something for the first time in a race you can throw your whole race away, specialy doing a Half Ironman.
Just stick with what you used in training and do the race. You can always try and experiment with new things in training.
Gu sounds like a good idea. I'm thinking I may need to take one during the bike even for my little tri . . . guess I'll bring it with and see how I feel. Only a few more days! :)
It's too late to try something new now but personally I think you need more nutriton for a HIM race. Nuun has hardly any calories and you probably need to replenish calories at about 200 to 400 an hour.
For my recent half (at about 125 lbs) I had oatmeal with a banana, almonds & a scoop of yogurt plus half a bagel for breakfast about 3 hrs before start. I also had a bottle of electolyte drink pre race while waiting around. On the bike I had a 16 oz bottle of carbo pro and gatorade diluted with water (about a 400 cal bottle) plus a Hammer bar (180 cals less the last bite I accidently dropped going over a pothole!) and about 38 oz of plain water over 3 hours. During the run I had 2 Gu's & at the non-Gu water stops I mixed half water & half gatorade so I probably had about 300 calories over 2 hours on the run and took in close to 700 calories over a 6 hr race weighing a good bit less than you.
For an oly you might need that energy burst but you won't crash and burn. The HIM is another game. I totally agree nothing new on race day but on the other hand I've bonked hard core before and it's not fun. I think you'll discover you need more calories for this duration than you might expect.
Good Luck! Can't wait to hear how the 70.3 goes. Depending on my training shcedule this weekend I may venture up to Chisago to cheer on some friends & see how the race is unfolding!
10 comments:
I personally think you should throw something with a little substance into the mix, granola bars, Clif bars, etc. - If your stomach can handle it. I just think those types of solids give you a bit more kick.
keep it simple is good! if gu and honeystings is what does it for you, then keep @ it.
It is possible to do a HIM on nothing but water and GU and have enough energy AND feel full....I have proved it. :)
it looks like an olympic distance triathlon.
what I've been doing is a light brekkie(nothing too hard like porridge or muesli and yoghurt)
Then 3x GU's 30min before the race.
a couple of them for the race (one on the bike, one on the run, if)
I know it sounds gross to have
and water should suffice. It's only 2 hours
My personal opinion:
Depends on how hard you are pushing your body. For an OLY, I would not over do it on nutrition. For a sprint I only took one GU pack pre-race. For an OLY, maybe 2 GU packs on the bike? I would stage them when you start the bike and like 10 minutes til you get off. If you are feeling it maybe the NUUN right at the start of the run.
Just be careful to not over do it. My first TRI (Olympic distance) I did the whole race with no nutrition and felt fine. If you have been training with nutrition then incorporate it in your race. If not, don't go messing with what your body is used to.
Hey are you doing an OLY or a HIM this weekend?!?!
Derek
The most important thing is to NEVER try something on race day that you haven't practised in training.
No matter what who says, you race at a higher intensity than what you race at even if you aren't planning it, it is just human we do go harder. If you try something new in training the stress is lower and your stomach can tolerate it.
If you try something for the first time in a race you can throw your whole race away, specialy doing a Half Ironman.
Just stick with what you used in training and do the race.
You can always try and experiment with new things in training.
Best of luck and Enjoy!!!
Johan
Good luck in Chisago! Hope that Plan B works out. If not, Plan C!
Good luck! I have my wife picking gu today for my race this weekend. Love the honey stinger.
Gu sounds like a good idea. I'm thinking I may need to take one during the bike even for my little tri . . . guess I'll bring it with and see how I feel. Only a few more days! :)
It's too late to try something new now but personally I think you need more nutriton for a HIM race. Nuun has hardly any calories and you probably need to replenish calories at about 200 to 400 an hour.
For my recent half (at about 125 lbs) I had oatmeal with a banana, almonds & a scoop of yogurt plus half a bagel for breakfast about 3 hrs before start. I also had a bottle of electolyte drink pre race while waiting around. On the bike I had a 16 oz bottle of carbo pro and gatorade diluted with water (about a 400 cal bottle) plus a Hammer bar (180 cals less the last bite I accidently dropped going over a pothole!) and about 38 oz of plain water over 3 hours. During the run I had 2 Gu's & at the non-Gu water stops I mixed half water & half gatorade so I probably had about 300 calories over 2 hours on the run and took in close to 700 calories over a 6 hr race weighing a good bit less than you.
For an oly you might need that energy burst but you won't crash and burn. The HIM is another game. I totally agree nothing new on race day but on the other hand I've bonked hard core before and it's not fun. I think you'll discover you need more calories for this duration than you might expect.
Good Luck! Can't wait to hear how the 70.3 goes. Depending on my training shcedule this weekend I may venture up to Chisago to cheer on some friends & see how the race is unfolding!
Post a Comment