Great race report, very exciting and even though you were a bit down you should be proud of having overcame whatever came you way and finished the race. I find interesting that there's a big division between those who love running in comp. shorts and the ones who still prefer the running shorts.
D, good effort. Even with the problems you had a respectable time. I'm not familiar with the compression shorts, but there is a lot of try shorts that aren't too tight, I use the 2XU with great success. Although I've used tigher Desoto's and had no problems.
Sound like the best thing to do with the compression shorts, being so tight, is wear them in the bedroom when you want to get all sexy and stuff. haha
Hi Derek, Great race report! It is fun to hear what you thought about the course and how things went on your run. I totally agree that the first 13 miles were amazing...I felt the same way and ran strong. I also had the issues on Summit Avenue...Grrrr! Sorry to hear about the compression shorts. I was going to wear my capri tights but changed my mind the night before. I put them on for five minutes and they were scratching my thighs. I knew they would drive me crazy so I wore shorts instead. Congrats on a great race! I have no doubt that you will BQ some day soon!
Don't burn the shorts. Keep them for your speed workouts or shorter runs.
I do think the hydration was the straw that broke the camel's back here. That and it might not have been your day man. Did you wear your HR monitor anyways? Curious if your body blew up before you even started?
Tri-James told me it doesn't matter what you do in your training, only what you do on race day. That being said, that sucks because that is ONE day where all of the stars have to align. You were running solid in your training runs man, do NOT feel down on yourself ok?
It just was not your perfect day that you needed. I feel the same way when I don't get my goals, but there is a reason they are your goals.
Just an FYI, my hydration running marathons, if I am racing, I will not take any fluids the first 10k or so. Then I will EASE fluids in. I do not drink much for a marathon though... unless its super hot out and I am sweating a lot. You did everything right man, just was not your day.
I’m thinkin’ there will be a kick-ass running bloggers reunion…errr…union…in Boston in 2012.
Prolly a good year for it. The Mayan’s have been talking a lot of sh** about the world ending in 2012 blah, blah, blah. What better way to give them the finger than to run the Mecca of marathons in the same year it’s all supposed to be over? Of course…if their right…it will be difficult to run Heartbreak Hill when the roads are caving in on themselves and buildings are falling all around us.
Your “evil compression shorts” comment was hilarious! Still it’s hard to practice certain things before race day. Like you said…you can run long, but it’s usually not at race pace. The race is usually the only time the full speed and the full distance come together…and there in lies the mystery. I struggle with practicing fuelling for that reason. I never take in as much as I do on race day during my training runs because I’m not moving that fast.
Hey…just be thankful your dad snapped that pic. If nuthin’ else those compression shorts make your buns look nice. Not that I’m lookin’…I’m just sayin’. I know for a fact that’ the ONLY reason Patrick M wears them. I hear he wears them to the grocery store.
I am really proud of you. You've put in so much work over these last four months, and it shows. You said it - you WILL BQ in 2011!! The questions is now... which race? :)
Sorry I missed you - I was working medical and posted right as you turn that right corner all the way through the chute. Actually, on that note, NOT sorry I missed you because the people we were picking up were passing out or being wheeled back to the tent!
I am really proud of you. You've put in so much work over these last four months, and it shows. You said it - you WILL BQ in 2011!! The questions is now... which race? :)
Sorry I missed you - I was working medical and posted right as you turn that right corner all the way through the chute. Actually, on that note, NOT sorry I missed you because the people we were picking up were passing out or being wheeled back to the tent!
Great report! You did well even with all your troubles. Did you run 22 miles in the exact same compression pants? I always do a few dress rehearsal s in all the clothing I’ll be wearing race day before important races. This sounds like a very nice marathon to run. BQ will come soon!
Great race report - way to struggle through those last few miles. I had totally blocked out any memory of all the hills on the course, they were rough!
When I used the porta potties at mile 16, there were spectators waiting in line. One tried to go in front of me and I said, "Oh no you don't!" and busted in front of him. If he had been smoking a cigarette, I may have snatched it and shoved it up his nose.
Great race report! That's such a bummer about your calves and quads cramping up on you. Do you think it may have been an electrolyte depletion problem instead of the compression tights? Just a thought! Again, I think that is still an awesome time for a marathon!
Hi Derek, I would say that my legs are about 80% back:) I don't think I should of been doing any yard work the day after. That was pretty stupid...we have a hill in the back and my legs felt tired and stiff:( One thing that I will say is that I am still very tired. I took Monday off from work but did stuff around the house and outside. Yesterday when I went back to work I was dragging my butt. Hopefully today will be better:)
How are you doing? Legs treating you okay?
Oh, and one more thing, if I had to make a choice between Grandma's and TC I would choose TC....hands down! It was awesome:)
I was swimming those dreaded laps tonight, thinking about you and how you always tell me that once I get there and get swimming, I will feel better. I really didn't...but I at least did them :). And just like me, you get it all out and you feel better...you analyze it and learn from it so that next time, you ROCK it and get that BQ! YOu and I BOTH know you can!!!
I think the Perpetum should be taken after mile 13. Try using it like GU, mix it super concentrated and put in tiny flask and down it every 4ish miles, just a swig. Before then, I agree with Amiee about the electrolytes. Just my thoughts. Let's work on it, ok? I'm there to rattle off any ideas!!
You are amazing, Derek! Hold your head up high, you are so deserving!!!
19 comments:
Tell you what, have a bonfire and throw the pieces of those shorts on it!
Sorry to hear about the calf pain, but glad that you still made it to the finish in what would be to me a superb time.
I plan on wearing running shorts at IM too. It has to be worth a couple of minutes for comfort on bike and run.
Great race report, very exciting and even though you were a bit down you should be proud of having overcame whatever came you way and finished the race.
I find interesting that there's a big division between those who love running in comp. shorts and the ones who still prefer the running shorts.
D, good effort. Even with the problems you had a respectable time. I'm not familiar with the compression shorts, but there is a lot of try shorts that aren't too tight, I use the 2XU with great success. Although I've used tigher Desoto's and had no problems.
Sound like the best thing to do with the compression shorts, being so tight, is wear them in the bedroom when you want to get all sexy and stuff. haha
B
Hi Derek,
Great race report! It is fun to hear what you thought about the course and how things went on your run. I totally agree that the first 13 miles were amazing...I felt the same way and ran strong. I also had the issues on Summit Avenue...Grrrr! Sorry to hear about the compression shorts. I was going to wear my capri tights but changed my mind the night before. I put them on for five minutes and they were scratching my thighs. I knew they would drive me crazy so I wore shorts instead. Congrats on a great race! I have no doubt that you will BQ some day soon!
Funny that you had a Biffy story too:)
Congrats on another Marathon finish! I wish I could belt out a marathon like you can.
Get picture of you burning those compression shorts and post a picture!
Don't burn the shorts. Keep them for your speed workouts or shorter runs.
I do think the hydration was the straw that broke the camel's back here. That and it might not have been your day man. Did you wear your HR monitor anyways? Curious if your body blew up before you even started?
Tri-James told me it doesn't matter what you do in your training, only what you do on race day. That being said, that sucks because that is ONE day where all of the stars have to align. You were running solid in your training runs man, do NOT feel down on yourself ok?
It just was not your perfect day that you needed. I feel the same way when I don't get my goals, but there is a reason they are your goals.
Just an FYI, my hydration running marathons, if I am racing, I will not take any fluids the first 10k or so. Then I will EASE fluids in. I do not drink much for a marathon though... unless its super hot out and I am sweating a lot. You did everything right man, just was not your day.
I’m thinkin’ there will be a kick-ass running bloggers reunion…errr…union…in Boston in 2012.
Prolly a good year for it. The Mayan’s have been talking a lot of sh** about the world ending in 2012 blah, blah, blah. What better way to give them the finger than to run the Mecca of marathons in the same year it’s all supposed to be over?
Of course…if their right…it will be difficult to run Heartbreak Hill when the roads are caving in on themselves and buildings are falling all around us.
Your “evil compression shorts” comment was hilarious!
Still it’s hard to practice certain things before race day. Like you said…you can run long, but it’s usually not at race pace. The race is usually the only time the full speed and the full distance come together…and there in lies the mystery. I struggle with practicing fuelling for that reason. I never take in as much as I do on race day during my training runs because I’m not moving that fast.
Hey…just be thankful your dad snapped that pic.
If nuthin’ else those compression shorts make your buns look nice. Not that I’m lookin’…I’m just sayin’. I know for a fact that’ the ONLY reason Patrick M wears them. I hear he wears them to the grocery store.
2011 it’s on.
I am really proud of you. You've put in so much work over these last four months, and it shows. You said it - you WILL BQ in 2011!! The questions is now... which race? :)
Sorry I missed you - I was working medical and posted right as you turn that right corner all the way through the chute. Actually, on that note, NOT sorry I missed you because the people we were picking up were passing out or being wheeled back to the tent!
I am really proud of you. You've put in so much work over these last four months, and it shows. You said it - you WILL BQ in 2011!! The questions is now... which race? :)
Sorry I missed you - I was working medical and posted right as you turn that right corner all the way through the chute. Actually, on that note, NOT sorry I missed you because the people we were picking up were passing out or being wheeled back to the tent!
Great report! You did well even with all your troubles. Did you run 22 miles in the exact same compression pants? I always do a few dress rehearsal s in all the clothing I’ll be wearing race day before important races. This sounds like a very nice marathon to run. BQ will come soon!
YAY DRog!
Love - LOVE the photo! I do have a thing for arms all a flail! ;)
Awesome.
I agree - bonfire for evil gear! You have come a long way, rejoice in that. Next year will be great.
Great race report - way to struggle through those last few miles. I had totally blocked out any memory of all the hills on the course, they were rough!
When I used the porta potties at mile 16, there were spectators waiting in line. One tried to go in front of me and I said, "Oh no you don't!" and busted in front of him. If he had been smoking a cigarette, I may have snatched it and shoved it up his nose.
Great race report! That's such a bummer about your calves and quads cramping up on you. Do you think it may have been an electrolyte depletion problem instead of the compression tights? Just a thought!
Again, I think that is still an awesome time for a marathon!
Hi Derek,
I would say that my legs are about 80% back:) I don't think I should of been doing any yard work the day after. That was pretty stupid...we have a hill in the back and my legs felt tired and stiff:( One thing that I will say is that I am still very tired. I took Monday off from work but did stuff around the house and outside. Yesterday when I went back to work I was dragging my butt. Hopefully today will be better:)
How are you doing? Legs treating you okay?
Oh, and one more thing, if I had to make a choice between Grandma's and TC I would choose TC....hands down! It was awesome:)
Take care of yourself!
I want a picture of you sacrificing the shorts. Do it in a big way, fire, shredder...kill that bad karma! ha
Great RR, bummer about your calves and quads cramping up on you, that just sucks.
Hope recovery is going well!
Good show man! And good lessons learned - that means when you come back you will be a better athlete!
Compression shorts sound kinda scary - my urologist always tells me to keep the boys loose (even when running).
I was swimming those dreaded laps tonight, thinking about you and how you always tell me that once I get there and get swimming, I will feel better. I really didn't...but I at least did them :). And just like me, you get it all out and you feel better...you analyze it and learn from it so that next time, you ROCK it and get that BQ! YOu and I BOTH know you can!!!
I think the Perpetum should be taken after mile 13. Try using it like GU, mix it super concentrated and put in tiny flask and down it every 4ish miles, just a swig. Before then, I agree with Amiee about the electrolytes. Just my thoughts. Let's work on it, ok? I'm there to rattle off any ideas!!
You are amazing, Derek! Hold your head up high, you are so deserving!!!
Oh, and I have some orange shorts I'm ready to throw in your big bonfire!!!
Post a Comment