Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The perfect storm


12 comments:

Heather said...

Look at all those leaves! So much fun.

I always feel out of sorts the week after a marathon - such a "what now?" feeling. I'll be happy to hit the one week mark to start planning the next big thing. :)

Jill said...

I'm glad you're taking a week off, you will recover better and less risk of injury. My old coach, who ran 4 Olympic Marathon Trials (Maureen Roben) always told me a mandatory 2-weeks off....but that's just sheer torture. So do take the one and then ease back into it. I know you can do the BQ in 2011...which are you planning??

Your pictures always remind me of my kids when they were little, always brings back happy memories!! :)

Jon said...

I really like Nuun. Easy on the stomach.

Have fun raking! My brother and sister and law have a mower that is specific to leaves. No more raking!

Betsy said...

Learning from your day will make you stronger next time! I am big on paying attention to what works and what doesn't work during training and just following that and keep the nutrition simple!

Pahla said...

I have plenty of first-hand experience with how nutrition and hydration can completely ruin your race. It's such a delicate balance, trying to figure out what to have and when and how much.
Love the pic of your girls and the leaves, that looks like so much fun!

KovasP said...

I wonder if TCM has a way of tracking who passes you, stops for any reason and then passes you again.

Quinton J said...

Sweet pic of the girls!

I still think you should blame Patrick. Just becuase he hasn't dated a blonde and he's an acid head.

That said, it seems like you learned from this one and the BQ is just around the corner. Enjoy this break in yoru trianing.

Matty O said...

Hey man, easy on yourself! Had a bad race but learned a lot about your body again. Just keep dialing in that gauge and you will find your sweet spot.

I think you had too much going on to try and peg one thing. Change in diet was probably a big one, I know for me, diet will make or break me any day of the week.

Usually our last race of the year is on a vacation. Sounds demented I know but in all seriousness, it forces us to take it easy and let go of the obsessive lifestyle of training and enter the off season. This has usually worked for us in the past, hopefully works again next weekend.

Do your experimenting with fluids, compression gear, bike stuff, in the off season.

Let your body rebuild and get back at it!

Emily said...

I'm doing all of this right now too! Believe me...it's easy to spend the week after marathon day over analyzing every little detail of the race. I haven't been able to bring myself to look at my splits yet! Just try and learn from this one and use it all to make your next one that much more awesome. That's my plan!

Aimee said...

It's definitely a good idea to take some time off. I heard that 2-3 weeks is good for after a marathon, but I can only imagine how hard that would be! Just ease into your workouts gradually and you'll be good to go!

I think it's hard to sit back and try and figure out what went wrong during a race. But, like what others have said, that's why we always practice our nutrition and hydration during training. I've been doing all of my long runs on water, nuun, and gels. So far they've been great, but we'll see how it goes come race day!

I love the picture of your girls and the leaves! Our front tree hasn't changed yet, but I'm sure I'll have lots of pictures like that very soon! :)

Julie said...

Hi Derek,
That big old pile of leaves looks perfect for jumping in:) We have raked up a few over here too!

I am also taking this whole week off from running. I have been a lazy girl! I was thinking about driving to St. Cloud to run with my running group...just a few miles to see everyone again. There is also The Autumn Woods Classic 5K and 10K here in Maple Grove. Last year I think I took 4th for my age group...Kay too 3rd:) I would most likely just run it slow and easy.

Take care!

Johann said...

Your “lack of” feeling is partly due to a tired body. Just relax this week and rest well. You’ll feel good when you start training (even short distances) again. Dehydration is a big part of bleeding nipples. The dry, salty skin instead of sweaty skin causes all sorts of discomfort…now that sounds a bit steamy but you know what I mean.