Sunday, October 3, 2010

Result

14 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Derek,
Congrats on a fantastic race! I think that you have an awesome time:)

We had perfect running weather:) I thought that the crowds were wonderful! At mile 22 my right hammy started cramping too! Those damn hills! I was almost in tears and needed to stretch it out. I also ended up walking for a few minutes! This was my first walk out of six times total!

I was able to meet up with Heather and we actually started the race together. She did a good job of calming me down:) We missed you! We looked for you and were bummed when we didn't find you:(

Nice job Derek....you did great!

Velma said...

Nice work -- even if it wasn't what you wanted.

BTW, Spirit of the Marathon is free on Hulu - just click on the link on my blog :)

Pahla said...

Sorry you didn't get the time you were looking for, that can be a real bummer. You have such a great attitude, though - a fun day, lessons learned and still a HUGE accomplishment!! Congrats!!

Aimee said...

Even though you said you were disappointed I think you did awesome! 3:45 is a great time! You finished a marathon and that is a huge accomplishment!

Patrick Mahoney said...

You bought those things due to a review I did, huh? Sorry. Don't be hatin' on compression, I still think it's the way to go. I have a pair of CW-X shorts I love...

Heather said...

Sorry about the cramping, but you did an awesome job! It was a great day for a run.

Jill said...

I guess you could blame Patrick?? :).

My heart sunk for you when I heard of your time, as I know you wanted better, but I know it's in you and I know you can do it! Some days the running gods make us go back and keep practicing until we get it right. It will come!! So very proud of you, Derek!!

Johann said...

Well done! That is a very good time, no reason to be disappointed! I don’t know about the compression shorts but I suppose it can cause problems on a long run. Rest and recover well!

Matty O said...

I will NOT run in compression clothing... does not seem right to me.

I also would rather have less hydration than too much. If I have too much BAD things happen to me, man, you are soooo close to finding that happy medium on your marathons.

Sorry bout the disappointing time... BUT, you finished, and you had fun. There is no bad news when you look at it that way.

Keep up the good work man!

Quinton J said...

Still a strong time. What was your goal? You’re first half was solid…and the second half…well…that’s where the magic happens. I know what you mean about the hydrating. I had a bad race in August where I took in way too much liquids…but not enough salt and I just came crashing down…cramps and all.
I don’t know much about compression shorts…and I don’t know Patrick enough to allow anything he says to compress around my ‘area’. I’m stickin’ to what I know for now.
When’s your next race?

Maria said...

Congrats on an awesome race. You may not like the results, but you came, you raced and you conquered. If you can take something away from the experience not all is lost!

Betsy said...

Sorry things did not go as planned. I know a few people that happened to and I always feel bad because I've had those kind of races too. But - these endurance things aren't easy....taht's why we do them! And at the end of the day you are lucky to have your health and body and ability to even be out there on a gorgeous day like yesterday! I was at 10 but I'm sure I saw you some where in the MASSES of runners and I'm sure you were through 22 by them time I got up there.

Christina said...

Wow, congratulations on a great race! That's an incredible time!
I TOTALLY understand the cramping issue thwarting off the original race plan. :( It stinks, BUT you really worked through it well to still achieve a sub 4 hour 'thon. There are plenty more races to be PR'd. Congratulations on this one!!

Caratunk Girl said...

Bummer you didn't hit your goal time (that is my BQ time, BTW, can I have it please??? ha), but you still ran a great race - overcoming some nasty obstacles you were not expecting. Plus you learned a few things, so next time you can come back and really rock it!