Monday, February 21, 2011

write off


Winter is exhausting. Of course our SW Suburbs got the brunt of the snow storm (again) with the highest totals at 16 to 17 inches. We are now guaranteed of having the 11th snowiest season on record...and we still have a solid 6 weeks to go!

Last night I missed my swim due to the amount of snow on the roads, and had to shovel out. I thought it was a storm that was supposed to taper off but when I woke up this morning, more shoveling! This spring I will be in the market for a end of year closeout on a snowblower.

I'm now blaming my lack of energy and motivation, and a general feeling of going through the motions, on winter. Everything from the bitter cold to snow everywhere is making this winter a struggle!

I had hoped to go into the office today and get set for the week ahead, as well as nail some great training sessions. In the end I got a 1 hour trainer ride done, and a couple hour "shovelfest". I'll consider today's one training effort a write off, and try to nail down a great week... as next week's lineup is a recovery week.

Today on the trainer I finished the film "Miracle" - totally awesome. I also popped in the Red Hot Chili Peppers DVD - "Live from Slane Castle"...which was also awesome. I have decided to start looking for additional shows on DVD, as that is a great way for me to knock off some trainer time. Already tonight I ordered online: NIN "And All that Could Have Been" and also FF live from Wembley.

I'll be unable to make spin class at the club tomorrow.... so my hope is to turn around my effort and get the good momentum going with an early morning trainer ride, and an afternoon swim.




15 comments:

Ironman By Thirty said...

We'd didn't quite have 16" - "only" around 10 or so. Still a pain in the ass the shovel. It definitely counts as a write off!

Good luck with your week!

Matty O said...

Finally they missed us. It went south of us. The 13 inches they expected was only 5 :) VERY MANAGABLE!

Its a tough funk to fight man. Just keep putting those numbers up on the training front! Don't think, just do!

Jon said...

I can't complain anymore. I have NO IDEA how much harder you have it with shoveling all that snow all season. At least you are getting a quality upper body workout!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

We got ice rain, I hate ice rain, I rather have snow, not 16 inches though

Miracle might be the best sports movie ever made

Emz said...

When exactly does the freaking snow stop?

"Live from Slane Castle"

You. KNOW. I. Love. That.

it's all about pace said...

my car was covered yeaterday... in pollen... :-)

JohnP said...

I thought we have it bad, but posts like this make me feel waaay better about our weather :) We've been reasonably lucky so far. I'm in a pocket of frequent but minimal snow compared to surrounding region.

Shovel snow? whats that? That is what kids are for! lol

Jill said...

Winter is so exhausting because we have to wear 32 layers of thick clothing to stay somewhat warm...and I swear, my toes never thaw all winter! And we don't even have "winter" here lately and my toes are still cold. I guess I shouldn't mention that it's suppose to be 50 degrees today and I'm off to run on the dry trails, should I? :)

Soon those daffodils and crocus' will be popping out in your yard and this crazy winter you are having will be a distant memory! Hang in there, Derek, you're doing great!!!!

Jason said...

Consider it cross-training. Put a positive 'spin' on it since there is nothing you can do to control it.

Jason said...

Consider it cross-training. Put a positive 'spin' on it since there is nothing you can do to control it.

TRI714 said...

Man it is never freaking ending for you guys !!! How are the shoulders and back today ?

The Triathlon Rx said...

When the snow was still coming down on Monday, for a second I honestly wanted to cry. I kept telling myself that all my Berkie buddies needed fresh snow, but DAMN I am ready for pavement. grass. sand. ANYTHING but snow!

Annie said...

Cross training, it's definitely cross training. Though I never had to shovel, I made Jeff do all the hard work :) Have a great rest of the week.

Chris K said...

I seriously do not know how you guys that live in the snow and cold weather stay motivated. It is inspiring.

I don't blame you for losing a tiny bit of training Mojo this week. You'll get it back and as the race gets closer, you will really start to lock in.

Bryan said...

Four words - "GET A SNOW BLOWER". Much more fun. haha