Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Man Overboard!





17 comments:

Ironman By Thirty said...

My wife drives past a DQ to and from work. I am hoping she doesn't notice that they opened back up yet...

Matty O said...

LOL at Kevin.

Hey man, catching up on blogs again.

Shaving legs = awesome. To be honest, I feel disgusting now with hair on my legs hahah! Swimming is definitely more fun. I stay hairy in the winter though because (mentally) I feel that the extra drag in the water helps :)

Meltdown. Welcome to my life. I gave in. I can't beat these mental issues. I know I can't, I am not strong enough. So when I cave, I cave ALL THE WAY. I ate so much crap that I disgusted the heck out of myself. I took all pressure off myself too and bailed on my 26.2 PR I wanted.

Had to do it. Got me back in a happy place and got me back into my groove. Worked for me.

Now, coffee. I do this every year after plowing season. Takes me 2 weeks to get over it. I get severe headaches, twitches, fatigue, serious stuff man. But it takes me 2 weeks almost to the day.

Good Luck. Figure out what works for you and run with it.

Bryan said...

D, upside is you did the 500 meters, love the sauna and jacuzz to work up a sweat. Up 10 lbs in two weeks??? nice one.

Looking at that Blizzard is making me hungry for one. Don't sweat the gain, it's your reward for AZ and you'll be in IM training soon. All's well that ends well.

B

it's all about pace said...

the 1st time I read your post I thought the last line read "looking forward to *same* routine next week" and I was thinking intervention...

Jill said...

Hahaha, I read the EXACT same thing as "it's all about pace"'s comment and thought the same thing!

I don't know, D, but maybe we just need these few weeks now and then to 1) make us appreciate the right way that much more, 2) your body's (and head) trying to tell you something. Listen and I bet you'll find the answers. I worry about you...I can see me doing this the past 11 months in my total despression slump, but you are one mean machine .... so SNAP OUTTA IT! :)

How's that for a pep talk?!

And hello, how much longer to warmth and shorts weather? I'm sure that's a big part of the past few weeks for you, too!

Hang in there, next week I look forward to reading more about your coconut water and gluten-free foods!! :)

Emz said...

why
did
this
make
me smile? I'm grinning ear to ear.

you are human?!?!

Derek you are amazing.
The cold has got to throw your body in a tailspin......heaven only knows what I'd resort to. ;)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

First, you did 500 instead of nothing.

Here is something to try that can help with the DQ and TB issue. Plan a cheat meal once a week then eat healthy the other 6 days. When tempted by DQ or TB, ask yourself, is this trip really worth my cheat meal? or do I want to save that meal for later in the week and have something better. Give it a try and see how it goes. It also helps to pack your lunch the night before, I do it while I am making dinner and I also pre gather my breakfast, have it ready so when I wake up, I dont have to spend time hunting it down and if I am running late, I make sure I have an apple or banana and a powerbar always ready in case I dont have time to make something. But oatmeal takes 60 seconds to nuke

RunningLaur said...

I'm with Emz, if I were subjected to that type of winter, pretty sure I'd spend all of my time drinking hot chocolate in the sauna and never go home. 500m is better than 0m.

Heather said...

It is this craptastic cold weather! The weekend is supposed to be better, so that should help. :)

The Triathlon Rx said...

Your shaving leg photo reminded me of one of my favorite high school memories. We shaved racing stripes in my co-captains legs before a big XC race. He was super pale, but really dark hair, so they stood out like stripes of lightning. Hhahahah!!

RE: the coffee "breakdown" (which I would consider a "regaining my sanity" moment more than a "breakdown")... coffee is good. It is a gift from God. Embrace it (in moderation if need be). :D Sorry... so unsupportive. It's just too good!

skierz said...

Consider it all a reward for a great marathon! Training time is coming up, eat the fun stuff now while you can! 10 lbs??!! Way to go, go big or go home!! LOL

TRI714 said...

D-I laughed out loud when I seen not 1 but 2 empty cups !! Get some !!
This too shall pass :-) you'll be in kick arse mode soon enough.

JohnP said...

Please tell me the 2nd cup was cuz it was too cold for you hand or something, pleease tell me you didn't eat 2 cups?!!?!?!!!

Aimee said...

Like others have said, 500m is better than nothing!!
I have been craving sweets big time and don't know why. I really think it has to do with a combo. of sucky winter weather and the fact that I'm actually giving myself some down time from training.
Don't be too hard on yourself. It's o-kay, to be unhealthy every once in awhile! I actually like BDD's idea of having a "cheat meal" every week. I may have to steal that!

racing dawn said...

I'm backin up all my peeps here...

And I'm all about starting fresh on Mondays! Enjoy the weekend...eat a couple more treats for the big game...and then back at it come Monday. There you have...done deal.

**And glad the girls are enjoying MJ experience...so fun...I let a friend borrow it and we're going through withdrawls... :)

Johann said...

Nothing wrong with some good eating and drinking from time to time. You'll be back to your normal disciplined training and eating soon.

Caratunk Girl said...

I love DQ fortunately the closest one is 2hrs away.

168