That sucks about the course being short! But, your pace was awesome! Great job!! I totally know what you mean about your shoes. Once I switched to a minimalist shoe, I just couldn't run in my "regular" running shoes anymore! And, I love my VFF Bikilas! They took a back seat when I was training for the marathon, but I really want to start running in them more now!
We have one of those popcorn makers and love it! My boys love watching the popcorn pop! :)
That's ridiculous about the course being that short, the race director should be canned after that blunder. Seriously! What if someone were trying to qualify for NYC...I know, slim chances, but still. Races are never marked to the T but there's no excuse for the RD not making sure the police was at the exact spot. Ok, off my soap box on that once :).
Geezie...what an awesome time, especially condering you have barely run in two week...in probably the frozen Arctic tundra, too! I am certain I'd be all flustered with the course screw up, too...once you get out of that groove, it's really tough to get it back no matter how hard you force it to come.
We have a twirly-type popcorn popper and it is SOOO yummy - so much better than the sodium-infested microwave kind. I bet your girls are having a blast with that! :)
well... another done on your belt, the distance issue will be a thing of the past in no time. Great pacing, though... even without the training you wished to do.
Wow, nice pace!! I was thinking the EXACT same thing at the turn around and seeing Mile 8 right away, never having hit Mile 7. "The cop setup the turn around baracade at the WRONG spot!" Something as important as turn around's should be for the race officials to come out and setup so it really is too bad they didn't do that. I didn't mind the shorter course all that much. I was just running it to get my long run in. I guess we have a once in a lifetime 11.6 mile PR now! :) Mmmmm... popcorn!
I've been reading about this race all over the blog world. Sounds like quite the screw up. You really cannot blame the police he was just doing what he was told -- so on the RD right there. They better offer some sort of discount for next year or at the least a sincere apology.
Hey the good new is that you had an awesome pace and were right on for the the sub 1:30 -- your run fitness is tight right now dude!
I would have "accidently forgot" to mention that it was cut short and went on and on and on about my PR, blazing fast time and dropping a ton of mins. But then I would have that "PR" hang over me for years to come because every other half mary wouldnt have cut so short.
Great run even though it was short! That's an awesome pace! I'm smiling reading all the comments. You guys must rather not come run smaller races in Africa. Most are some strange distance and usually longer than the actual distance. I've done a half marathon that was 4.6km long:) You better do something about the 3 months! Take care!
20 comments:
I've heard of races a few "yards" short/long, but not "miles". That is some crazy stuff. Maybe your rest before the race helped you. Maybe.
I wear Newtons, but still heel strike. They are not minimalist, per se, but designed to promote "natual running".
Well, you know where you can get Newtons, and we'll have Vibrams starting this spring!
Wow, way to go Mr. Police officer! Bummer man!
Nice paces though! I can only dream of running a single sub 7 min mile.
AWESOME run time. Bummer about the short course. Next time, just keep going and go by the gps. haha.
Real bummer though, you were on man. Huge gains over the last year or two. Keep up the great work.
B
That sucks about the course being short! But, your pace was awesome! Great job!!
I totally know what you mean about your shoes. Once I switched to a minimalist shoe, I just couldn't run in my "regular" running shoes anymore! And, I love my VFF Bikilas! They took a back seat when I was training for the marathon, but I really want to start running in them more now!
We have one of those popcorn makers and love it! My boys love watching the popcorn pop! :)
Gosh...so much to say (imagine :)).
That's ridiculous about the course being that short, the race director should be canned after that blunder. Seriously! What if someone were trying to qualify for NYC...I know, slim chances, but still. Races are never marked to the T but there's no excuse for the RD not making sure the police was at the exact spot. Ok, off my soap box on that once :).
Geezie...what an awesome time, especially condering you have barely run in two week...in probably the frozen Arctic tundra, too! I am certain I'd be all flustered with the course screw up, too...once you get out of that groove, it's really tough to get it back no matter how hard you force it to come.
We have a twirly-type popcorn popper and it is SOOO yummy - so much better than the sodium-infested microwave kind. I bet your girls are having a blast with that! :)
Well done, Derek! Big smiles here in Denver! :)
There were definitely time during my half this morning that I *wished* it was a short course.
Well done regardless of the missing distance :D
well... another done on your belt, the distance issue will be a thing of the past in no time. Great pacing, though... even without the training you wished to do.
no crap?!
I re-read that. And was shocked.
What a story hahaha.
Great job man, sucks that you were spot on and couldn't get the "official" results haha.
Keep us posted on the running form/shoes. Interested.
Great race! When I read the blog title, I thought to myself, "Wow, that is a weird distance for a race". That explains it!
Solid effort nonetheless.
ohhh no way. That's terrible! Yeh, definitely a lousy race director. Grrr!
Sounds like you had a good time though! :)
Wow, nice pace!!
I was thinking the EXACT same thing at the turn around and seeing Mile 8 right away, never having hit Mile 7. "The cop setup the turn around baracade at the WRONG spot!" Something as important as turn around's should be for the race officials to come out and setup so it really is too bad they didn't do that. I didn't mind the shorter course all that much. I was just running it to get my long run in.
I guess we have a once in a lifetime 11.6 mile PR now! :)
Mmmmm... popcorn!
I've been reading about this race all over the blog world. Sounds like quite the screw up. You really cannot blame the police he was just doing what he was told -- so on the RD right there. They better offer some sort of discount for next year or at the least a sincere apology.
Hey the good new is that you had an awesome pace and were right on for the the sub 1:30 -- your run fitness is tight right now dude!
I would have "accidently forgot" to mention that it was cut short and went on and on and on about my PR, blazing fast time and dropping a ton of mins. But then I would have that "PR" hang over me for years to come because every other half mary wouldnt have cut so short.
oh dear god. I would have killed. no lie. emily sarah would definitely become a cold blooded killer if you effed with my race course.
Crazy that the race was cut that short!
I love your old school popcorn popper. Makes me want one. :)
So. Freaking. Crazy.
S h o r t
By 1.5. That's nuts.
But you killed it. That pace was amazing!!
Awesome.
Can't
Wait
To
See
How
You
"fill in"
The
next
3
Months. ;)
Wow. That is nuts! Great pace, though I could see how the shortage could be deflating.
I am reading born to run. Still torn on the issue. hmmmmmm
Great run even though it was short! That's an awesome pace! I'm smiling reading all the comments. You guys must rather not come run smaller races in Africa. Most are some strange distance and usually longer than the actual distance. I've done a half marathon that was 4.6km long:) You better do something about the 3 months! Take care!
WTH ??? and we pay for this !! That is the crappy part. But dude really, your mpm #'s off the hook. Great run.
Post a Comment