Sunday, December 26, 2010

Old School



13 comments:

Matty O said...

Nice job man. This is the hardest time of the year to muster up that motivation. Sometimes you just have to shut off your head and get out the door.

Any thoughts to acclimating to the heat for the run? Are you doing a lot of running indoors?

I was curious if this would affect you at all?

We ran a 5k in Hawaii last March and both of us CRUSHED it. H ran on the treadmill all winter and I ran outdoors all winter. So it might not be an issue at all to you.... the marathon distance and hydration would be my fear.

Keep punching the clock and getting that taper done!

The Triathlon Rx said...

OH man do I miss sledding! We used to go to this great hill by Webber Park (a little west of 42nd and France?). SO much fun... unless you hit the tree and knock a tooth out, but pretty sure that's only allowed to happen once in a lifetime. :)

I have good feelings about this about this marathon!! We still have some summer gear left - come on by if you need some shorts! :) (ps we have tri shorts too!!)

Jill said...

Ooooo, a mini toboggan - that is sooo cool! I used to have that exact sled as a kid and that thing ROCKED!!! My brother had the bigger one and we'd get about 10 kids piled on that thing and it'd fly down the hill. Fun time. I'm glad our daughter evetually had a great time - too funny she thought it was uncool at firsts. Yeah, that's going to happen a lot I'm afraid in the years to come. Dorky dad. Haha.

YESSSSSS! Glad Phoenix has now entered your brain cavity and you are excited. That's such a good place to be and it hit you just the perfect time! This means nothing but good things for the rest of your training!!! :)

Jason said...

At first I was going to comment on the running aspect of your post but then the sleding with the daughter came up and that is so awesome.

Way to go Dad!!!!!

Back to the run. Isn't awesome to know that you can get back into this with certainty that you can do it? All your training and hard works pays off when that first training session comes after some needed rest and you are right back at it. Congrats and RnRAZ got nothing on you.

You, EMZ and Aimee are going to kill it.

Jon said...

Old Skool is the Kool skool! Good luck with these last 3 weeks!

Betsy said...

We passed 2 abandoned sleds on a hill along the parkway yesterday adn I couldn't convince my running buddies to stop and each take a turn!

I've got a z-pak prescription I can sell ya! My uncle wrote one out for me at Christmas dinner (he's legit to do that) when I was complaining about what felt like an on-coming sinus infection. I'm not planning to fill it and I joked about selling the drugs on the street :)

Aimee said...

That sledding adventure with your daughter must have been so fun!! We have yet to take our boys sledding yet...probably b/c we don't have any snow here yet!!! :)

I'm glad you're getting excited about RNRAZ! Truth be told, I'm really nervous about it. I am sick again and not able to run. I tried, but ended up hacking up my lungs! I will definitely be going into the race with a different mind set then what I started out with.

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

The sledding looked really fun.

Caratunk Girl said...

Awesome!! You are rocking it. RnRAZ has nothing on you!!

Love the sledding pictures.

207 man, 207!

Annie said...

I miss snow. Sounds like you had a blast with your daughter. Three weeks to go??? How exciting. Good luck!

Johann said...

I've never even seen a real sled in my life. I really enjoyed this post. Keep it going with the training, you're doing great!

Emz said...

This
Is
So
Awesome.

Love the photos.
Love daddy/daughter photos especially.

Kindof partial to "Emily" too. ;)

Julie said...

Hi Derek,
Wow, way to go on the six miler! I am going to start off slow....5K for me:) It is so weird to think that six miles seems like a long run after taking a month off of running.

I used to go sledding all of the time as a kid! So much fun! Great pictures:) Happy New Year to you and your family!