Thanks for sharing! Your Ironman finish will be even sweeter knowing where you were & where you are today.
It's amazing for me to think of you as the person you were because I only know you as a dedicated athlete & super dad & best IM volunter/cheerleader ever and can't imagine you any other way. Congratulations for getting clean and staying clean and using the energy you wasted on something so amazing!
Awesome 4 years Derek! This is very inspiring indeed. Well done my friend! Glad the flu/cold is already getting better and over with long enough before race day.
D, sorry for the delay in commenting. I just got back to catching up on everyones blogs.
I just want to say Congratulations brother. Your story is amazing. What you have accomplished in the last 4 years, very few people could do.
It's also one thing to quit, it's another to move your life in such a positive direction. From what I see, without even knowing you had a drug or alcohol problem, you are a role model the way treat your family, work and train, not to mention how you try to become a better person everyday. It's apparent.
The thing that hit home with me that you said was "I don't miss that life at all". That's so impressive. Many people have that self-sabatoge gene and romance about their destructive years.
You on the other hand just seem to be getting stronger and stronger and raising the bar higher and higher.
I want to say, although we've never yet met face to face (yet) I consider you a brother and kindred spirit.
I can't tell you how much respect I have for you. Although I've accomplished a lot in triathlon, you've accomplished more with real life and important stuff.
Wow... am I glad I went back to catch up! Although I only had 4 posts... wasn't TOO far behind. ;) I didn't know about this part of your life at all, and I'm really glad you feel comfortable to share.
Addictions come in all shapes and sizes, and it's good to hear people be able to talk about their past openly and honestly. And definitely knowing you have all of our support or course!
21 comments:
Congrats on four years and thanks for sharing this post. Hope you feel better soon!
Thanks for sharing! Your Ironman finish will be even sweeter knowing where you were & where you are today.
It's amazing for me to think of you as the person you were because I only know you as a dedicated athlete & super dad & best IM volunter/cheerleader ever and can't imagine you any other way. Congratulations for getting clean and staying clean and using the energy you wasted on something so amazing!
thank you.
thank you.
thank.you.for.sharing.this.
Amazing.FREAKING. amazing.
I'm printing this post out for a loved one. I love the "endure" "ednurance" = endurance sports for you.
truly. amazing.
truly. inspiring.
oh & you are
truly. going. to. kill. the . last 13.2 in AZ.
ya, I see the typo-there's probably 4 I don't see too. ;)
Wow...you have come so far! Awesome job with being sober for 4 years! Just awesome!!
I'm sorry you're sick right now! I hope you feel better soon! But, you're right..better now than a week before the marathon!
Wow. This is an incredible story. Congratulations and well done! Truly an inspiration :)
Well done, Derek. 4 years is amazing!!
- From another guy in recovery.
Way to go with the 4 year mark!!!
HELL YES !!!! Beat the devil down and give DRog his due. excellent, excellent.
Congrats on 4years Derek! Very inspiring story and thanks for sharing with us.
That's how I think too. Don't want it near a race!
Thanks for sharing your story. I hope you feel better soon. Good luck in your upcoming marathon!
Awesome 4 years Derek! This is very inspiring indeed. Well done my friend! Glad the flu/cold is already getting better and over with long enough before race day.
Deep.
Thanks for sharing - this is an awesome post!
You have so much to be happy for!
awesome - congrats on 4 years!!!
WOW!
Amazed by your turnaround and congrats on 4 years strong!
This all very inspiring that a person CAN change.
WOW what an awesome post!
Thank you for sharing. Your turn around in 4 years is amazing!
D, sorry for the delay in commenting. I just got back to catching up on everyones blogs.
I just want to say Congratulations brother. Your story is amazing. What you have accomplished in the last 4 years, very few people could do.
It's also one thing to quit, it's another to move your life in such a positive direction. From what I see, without even knowing you had a drug or alcohol problem, you are a role model the way treat your family, work and train, not to mention how you try to become a better person everyday. It's apparent.
The thing that hit home with me that you said was "I don't miss that life at all". That's so impressive. Many people have that self-sabatoge gene and romance about their destructive years.
You on the other hand just seem to be getting stronger and stronger and raising the bar higher and higher.
I want to say, although we've never yet met face to face (yet) I consider you a brother and kindred spirit.
I can't tell you how much respect I have for you. Although I've accomplished a lot in triathlon, you've accomplished more with real life and important stuff.
Great post, you're an inspiration.
B
Wow! You have a very lucky family, what an amazing story!
Happy Anniversary, Derek - I thought about you on this special day.
I'm so glad to know you. Enough said!
Wow... am I glad I went back to catch up! Although I only had 4 posts... wasn't TOO far behind. ;) I didn't know about this part of your life at all, and I'm really glad you feel comfortable to share.
Addictions come in all shapes and sizes, and it's good to hear people be able to talk about their past openly and honestly. And definitely knowing you have all of our support or course!
Enjoy your Hammer Gels :)
Post a Comment