Sunday, July 17, 2011

No looking back now...

Okay, the picture loses all credibility with the stuffed carebare animals in the background, but still...last week was brutal!

Things seem to be getting better all the way around, and I'm hoping that will continue all week leading to Sunday.

Last week was week 23 of 24 in the IM Training plan, and the label was "Taper" ... but it didn't feel like a taper. It felt like regular workouts....and being in the mindset that it was supposed to be a taper didn't help at all. It should be listed as "Just a Bunch more Workouts" and I would have done better.

I got my bike back on Tue 7/12 after not having had it for a week after the fork went out, but due to parenting and work could not get out on it until Friday ...meaning I have had just 1 bike in 11 days. OOF!! Not the way I wanted to lead into the IM.

This started really poor thinking all week and was basically the sole catalyst to my taper tantrums. I was irritable, discontent, crabby, snappy, impatient, and basically a grouch the whole week. Isn't IM great?!

I thought I would breeze through this taper with no issues, since I am not gunning for a time and only to finish. As it turns out crossing the finish line as my main goal caused me to get turned around way more than usual.

But things seemed to really turn around for the better over the weekend. I feel really grateful as it seems I will be able to make it to the start line! Also in retrospect the bike issue could not have possibly happened at a better time. Had it happened in a race it would have been day over. Had it happened just a shade earlier in training it would have likely knocked out my last two long rides.

As it turned out the fork went down after my long rides and with enough time for Felt to send a new fork to the bike shop.

The Garmin watch issue is also now resolved! After going to the retailer who was unable to help me since it was out of warranty, I took the advice of several bloggers and started in with the Garmin Customer Service. They were somewhat helpful but I then got the name and number of the local rep who assisted me even more.....new watch came in on Thursday.

Incredibly our dryer at home went out on Wed., then today our hot water heater is done for. Everything at once please!

I also struggled physically last week. This was maybe more concerning than everything else I was fretting over. My body and legs felt out of whack the whole week. Bad. Things started coming back together for me with solid efforts Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Feeling pretty good leading into the week. Will be really busy first part of the week scrambling around before heading out...should be able to squeeze in one last post.

18 comments:

Matthew Smith said...

Everything is breaking at once! Sorry, man. That sucks. You're going to rock you IM. You've been training so hard for such a long time, and it's going to pay off big time. Way to go!

Unknown said...

Damn, when it rains it pours!

Stay focused, you are almost there!

MAke sure to get us you race number so we can do the appropriate race day stalking!

Jon said...

Wow you have had it ROUGH!

Glad that the bike and watch issues were taken care of. You NEED at least the bike on race day.

And what is up with the appliances breaking? I think they know you are doing the biggest race of your life!

Jill said...

Hey Derek!
Thought about you a lot this weekend as I knew taper time was here and taper is never easy as we start to question way too many things. But you are hanging in there and holding strong - you are going to have an excellent race! Bike fixed, Garmin brand new...things to check off and feel at ease with. Now the work is done, just time to stay healthy and remain strong mentally and you got this! I can't even put in words how excited I am for you..having watched you for about a year now, I have been nothing but inspired and moved by all your amazing achievements! Now rest up those legs and swimming arms, eat well, lots of sleep - and attack Sunday feeling amazing!!

Caratunk Girl said...

5

You have the taper madness bug, it is OK we all get bitten by it.

That and teh freaking appliance issues, equipment issues..holy crap dude. WTF?

See you. SOON.

Matty O said...

Wow, you took a HUGE slap to the face man haha. Funny that your taper week will be 100times more stressful and painful than your race day though.

Stay positive man. YOU SO HAVE THIS DANG THING!

Enjoy the day too. I am so happy that everything is there for you right now, just have to execute the plan!

Hang in there buddy!!!

The Triathlon Rx said...

I'm gonna bet that a lot of the *physical* struggles you had this week were stemming from psychological stress. And maybe the 117° heat index. AY!

So excited for you D!

Annie said...

Taper Tantrums, I love it!! Sorry about all the other crap though. Can't wait to stalk you Sunday. You are so ready!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Wow, I feel for you, hang in there

Taper Tantrums is classic

Ironman By Thirty said...

Wow! That is just crazy. You probably got to the point where you just didn't want to believe it was really happening.

You got this! Go get it! Looking forward to tracking you at IMLP!

Unknown said...

I hope the end of your week has been better! Don't need the added stress!

Best of luck Sunday - what's your bib number so we can stalk you?

Jamie said...

Good luck on Sunday! You will kill it!

Betsy said...

Simply cannot wait to hear about your day & experience in becoming an Ironman! Stay strong, stay in your box, have a ton of fun out there on the course, take the time to have sunscreen applied, don't have so much fun you forget about your nutrition, stay in the moment...when the swim is done forget about, don't think about the marathon until mile 110 of the bike. Of course I wish I could be there volunteering & offering up a piece of gum! You'll do amazingly well! Promise you won't be like me & neglect the post race report :)

Go Get em DRog! Huge cheers from Minnie & I'll check in on IM live :)

Annie said...

"An Ironman is not made in 140.6 miles; an Ironman is forged through countless early morning wake ups, gallons of sweat, hundreds of miles of focus, and many months of self-discipline. Like steel, an Ironman enters the fire, is softened, and beat down, and shaped, and molded and in the end is solid and strong. Tomorrow, {you} will be an Ironman." -unknown

Christina said...

I've been blog slacking, but while on Facebook just now I realized Placid is HERE! I had to log on to wish you luck!! All your hard work will pay off and this Ironman is your's! Soon you will be an Ironman!! Good luck, have fun, and enjoy every second! It'll be over before you know it, and that's when the "bragging rights for life" starts! :)

~Christina

Betsy said...

Way to just absolutly kill it in your first IM D! Very proud of you & all the hard work you put in. You hung tough & executed an amazing race! Can't wait to read the race report! Especially proud of you for over coming obstacles & making incredible changes in your life & choosing your energy & passion into training & fitness!

I'm sure you'll be glad to have the time back to properly do laundry & alphbetize the garage :)

Julie said...

Hi Derek! So you are experiencing a little taper madness! You got to love it...hang in there...be strong:) You got this one!

Jason said...

Dude, you killed IMLP. I cannot wait to read your race report.

Do you know how you did in terms of Kona qualifying b/c I would think you should be close if not in.