1) It started last weekend...on Saturday I went for a 20mi run the day after a big brick. I had a good run, really solid...but the spot between each pinky toe and second toe have been teetering on the edge of blisters for a couple months. Several rain runs including the Grandma's Half Marathon put them both over the edge and I had a huge blood blister on each foot.
I made the really bad call to not only pop each blister but rip the skin off. The playbook would have said tiny pinhole and leave the rest. I could barely walk for three days without wincing pain. It's feeling much better and I finally went for a run today.
2) Followed up the blister fest with a moderate bike on Sunday. My Garmin 310XT wouldn't power up, wont accept a charge, wont master reset.....won't do a thing. It's toast. Bought it 18 months ago so its six months out of warranty. Ugh! This really sucks as it is my primary means of distance and pace on the bike, and obviously pace per mile on the run.
I got over it by hitting the pool, and had a new PR training swim of 6200 meters.
3) Finally Monday I was out for a simple 1.5hr bike and was closing in on home about a mile away when I suddenly could not turn the handle bars of my bike. Stopped and lifted the front wheel in the air, turned it a few times, and it sounded and felt like a bunch of grime and dirt was in the neck based on the way it was grinding about. Rode the short stretch home and could barely turn. Had this happened in a race I would have had zero chance of finishing...
Stopped into the bike shop on Tuesday and the tech took off the fork to uncover the structural damage to the neck of the fork. Apparently this was a manufacturer issue on several of the 08' and 09' Felt models and the result was actually a recall.
Regardless they are sending out a new fork and it should be ready to go by Tuesday. This of course means I have had no bike all week....and it's actually been an issue to make any workouts. I plan to get after it this weekend with some good hours.
16 comments:
Glad you got all this out of the way before race day. Man that would have sucked to have discovered the fork thing at the race. On the first ride after my last HIM, I was only about 10 miles in when my left foot was loose. I discovered I had lost screw on my cleat and the other 2 were loose as well. I'm glad that it waited till post race to be an issue.
I'd still contact Garmin even though you are out of warranty. I've heard their customer service is really good.
Oh, man!! Thank goodness you got all of that done with before IMLP, now you can sail through race day!
I love how casual you are about the HUGE volume of training you're doing. You are so ready!
Like I said before, I totally know this is frustrating, but I am so glad that you got that out of the way now instead of in 14 days.
14 freaking days
EEEk.
Major bummer man! Glad this is happening NOW and not on race day. THAT would have sucked, especially going down the Keene descent!
My bad luck always hits in multiples as well! Good to get it out of the way before race day. I think the Garmin would have me the most angry, what a rip. I'd definitely contact them!
- Holy pin cushions 6200 in the water, I am really impressed
- Sucks about the bike, glad you found out now and not later
I would send an email to Garmin's product support. My 405 reset button randomly stopped working one day, and they fixed it for $80. Not free, but better than the $$$ for a brand new one!
glad you caught the fork failure now! Thats a pretty serious break - I've seen nasty things happen from breaks like that.
Count yourself very lucky. Be thankful you found it on your own terms!
Oh man..it sounds like you've had quite the week!
That sucks about your bike! Hopefully you'll get the part soon and be back on your bike again!
Brutal blister injury. Way to man up and get that 20 done.
No Garmin? I would not be able to exist without mine. I was simply implode and blow away as a cloud of dust. The world is not round without my Garmin.
Garmins man. That sucks.
14 days? Seriously?!
So awesome!!
PR on swim=excellent.
BTW-love the photo with you all sprawled on the grass. The best ever.
Well, looks like you took care of all the bad things. Those are all checked off and now it's time to taper and get ready for that BIG RACE!!!
Did you call Garmin, by chance? Mine locks up on me frequently and I called customer service one day a couple weeks ago and they couldn't have been any nicer - and fixed my problem! So may be worth a try.
14 days. WOW!!! Sooooo excited for you!
Wow! That's a lot of badness to happen in a short period of time. I'm glad you're pressing on in spite of it all. You're going to do great. Plus, it's almost like you're getting it all out before race day so nothing will happen then!!
One person shouldn't have that much suckage... you should be good for a LONG time!
6200m swim!!! gotta love those
bummer 'bout the bikje, though
The cow bell ringing [for you] has officially started here in AZ.
We will be ringing all freaking day long in 13 days.
This IMLP is freaking yours.
Post a Comment