Thursday, July 28, 2011

IMLP 2011 - RR

Where to start?

There was so much!!!

Ironman Lake Placid was the most incredible thing I have ever participated in and been a part of. It turned out to be way more awesome....way more unreal than I thought it would be.

This morning I went to the 545am spin class at LTF. It was so odd. It was the same studio I walked into 4yrs ago weighing 240lbs for my first spin class and started my comeback. I had my new Ironman USA Lake Placid water bottle with me (of course) and was looking at it during class...looking at the MDot logo thinking I can't believe I did it. Thinking I can't believe I was a witness to some of the scenes and other athletes I saw battling it out for their own finish, and of course those that never found the Timex finish box at the end.

I will probably forget a whole bunch about the race, and will miss things I wanted to include. Already I was talking to my sister and she was mentioning about when we saw each other at then end of the bike loop. I was like "...now was that at the end of the first loop or the second loop?" How quickly I forget!

Overall Time - 10:46:21

Swim - 1:00:51
T1 - 5:20
Bike - 5:36:43
T2 - 5:14
Run - 3:58:13

Everyone has their own story of how and why they wanted to do Ironman. Mine is not dramatic, or captivating...but it went like this:

In December of 2009, I was in NYC to see some college buddies and run a race in Central Park, the Ted Corbitt 15k. I had run two marathons earlier in the year and had finally cracked the 4hr mark at TCM in October running a 3:31. After that 26.2 race, I felt done with those marathon things...I decided I would settle into some middle distance road races and start lifting weights.

That race morning in NYC, I was at a Starbucks on the UES around 93rd and 2nd ... a guy walked in wearing an Ironman Florida jacket. I thought...that's so cool...he's wearing an Ironman jacket...he did the Ironman. I thought ... I should do Ironman. I saw the same guy in the 15k race that morning on the last mile in Central Park...wearing his jacket. All of a sudden I had to have Ironman status...and a jacket.

I had no bike...had never been on a road bike (or a tri bike) and was not a swimmer. I could swim, but had never gone to a pool to swim laps as a workout.

I got home from NYC and immediately started to research the races. I went to the Ironman site and looked at the possible locations and sites. Immediately Lake Placid stood out. It had to be LP, that was the one. Then as I was clicking on all the races they were all full! I think Louisville still had some foundation slots open at the time.

I started searching how people gained entry into these things...I started with specific searches related to Lake Placid. The first result I started looking into was a blog: Training Payne. His entries in 09' as he signed up for the 10' race. I then backtracked on his blog to figure out what I needed to do to get into Triathlons in general, and in the process learned so much!

At that time I realized people blogged about training and racing! The amount of support and inspiration I have experienced from other bloggers is just incredible....indescribable. I am a much better athlete and my fitness level is WAY WAY WAY better because of all of you guys. I so so grateful for that.

All of the emails and texts I received during race week leading to the event day was truly overwhelming. Especially from bloggers.

Friday night - the athlete welcome dinner was awesome - totally inspirational and a ton of fun. Mike Reilly was so great, he led a fantastic dinner party and it was a blast as he brought age groupers onstage for spontaneous Q&A. The segment with NYC Firefighter Mike Long and his comeback story was so inspirational and moving. I thought of him on my run on Sunday.

Saturday - check in bike and gear bags. At this point the logistics and machine of Ironman was starting to get to me...it was overwhelming to try and plan and figure out all the coordination of the transition and special needs bags and what was needed where etc etc etc

We ran into Emily and her mom at Starbucks in the afternoon which was really cool. In fact I was running into bloggers all weekend long:

Saw Mandy Friday morning in the IM Village and again several times over the weekend. Saw Jon many times, also John P with his wife FranP. Also met Rodney, Simon...and who am I forgetting? Seemed every time I turned around there was another friendly face...It made the weekend that much better.

Had a late lunch Saturday...and light dinner that night. I couldn't sleep and was finally down around midnight....and up at 345am race morning.

Walking down to the race site from the hotel at 5am was pretty surreal. The coffee shop next to our hotel was open...things were looking up! A few other athletes were already in there having a coffee and breakfast.

As I got closer to the site...I could see Body Marking had already begun. It was at this moment when the race turned from something that had been mega and overwhelming...to Just Another Triathlon where I needed to Swim, to Bike and to Run.

I got body marked and went into transition to load my water bottles.
It was there that I finally ran into The Captain - Training Payne! Huge smiles and big bear hug it was like we have known each other forever. Funny how it's like that sometimes. We have exchanged so many emails and blog comments it was super special to be pre-race at Lake Placid with him.

At the same time, Mike Reilly was perched on a platform overlooking the transition area...all business....barking out instructions and recommendations. He advised everyone to cool it on the Keene Descent and to use brakes and no aero position.

He also said it was going to be wetsuit optional. This was a surprise, with the rain and cooler morning I thought for sure it would not come into play. The day and night before I was leaning heavily toward going no wetsuit.

Bryan suggested I go with the wetsuit, as I was not going for a Kona slot. Then I heard Mike Reillys words that wearing a wetsuit was official and the only difference was no Kona eligibility. I went with the wetsuit.

Swim / 2.4mi. / 1:00:51

The swim start was electric. Mike Reilly had made his way down to the beach and was now energetically getting everyone ready for the start. The guy is so great.

Tunes were cranking and people were getting ready. Amazingly enough I ran into both Jon and Mandy before the start. I saw Mandy in the water!

I started toward the front, right in the middle. As planned there was a ton of contact, and I went hard out of the gate. After around 1000 meters of pushing it I settled into a much more regular rhythm and hammered away.

On the backstretch loop one I suddenly found myself right on the buoy line...exactly where I didn't want to be! On the second loop of the swim I went a little wider, but I also started to get passed by several non wetsuit swimmers.

I figured my pace had really slowed, but when I exited I had 1hr swim...and was psyyyyched to be out of the water heading for the bike.

T1 - 5:20
Running the chute from the swim to transition was unreal....absolutely packed with spectators....they were yelling and screaming the whole way.

Got to the tent and ditched my swim stuff, got on my bike stuff...and headed out.

Bike / 112mi. / 5:36:43 / 19.96 mph avg

I really had no specific plan for the bike. I knew I should take it easy....and my general plan was to Just Ride Along ....and enjoy the scenery. I figured I would be getting passed quite a bit.

Friday afternoon I had a chance to do the Keene downhill, and also to drive the course. It helped seeing it beforehand.

As I came out of T1 to wind my way out of town...again, massive crazy crowds. A couple of woo-hoo's and a fist pump to the crowd and they would go bananas. It was so great!

climbing out of town to the top of the descent took longer and was harder than I thought it would be. By the time I started my descent I think my avg pace was around 14 or 15mph. Could not believe how many guys were just hammering up that first longish incline. I wish I had a few bib numbers.

On the first loop I did the descent pretty fast. One hand on the rear brake and feathered braking a little bit. There was like 6 or 7 riders right behind me so I had to really concentrate and focus.

After the decent I just settled in and went. I reached the first out and back and after the switchback started to see huge throngs and groups of bikers. They were about 15 minutes behind me and there was a lot of them.

At this point I devised a specific bike plan. Go steady and strong up the long uphill climb on loop one, be clear of the masses for the downhill.....and go ultra easy the second half of loop 2.

I did the climbing at the end of loop one as stated, steady and pretty good cadence. Entering town on those final climbs exactly as people have described...like riding in the TDF in LP! Reaching town and winding through the main streets was unbelievable...the crowds were actually bigger by now...the whole way through.

I did the climb to start loop 2 and reached the start of the long descent with no one around. Couldn't see anyone ahead, and looked back and saw no one. Was like a dream. Got going fast at the beginning, tucked in aero...and bombed the whole way down no brakes. It was the best ever. By far the fastest I have ever gone, and for a long stretch. It was like an amusement ride, I was flying.

I think my avg pace was around 20.6 after that downhill, and I then started throttling back. After the switchback I rode the final 20 miles really easy uphill, in an effort to get ready to run. Really wanted to run the run.

This may sound either corny sappy or really odd but this was my thinking as I approached transition for bike to run. I saw the Olympic Center where our USA Hockey squad scored Gold....and thought of Coach Brooks and what would he say to a fellow MN dude who had just eased up on the bike to give himself a shot to run the run. I thought he might say Don't be Denied and ... work to the end.

T2 - 5:14
Handed off bike to volunteer, ditched bike stuff, and got ready to run. A volunteer helped me with my gear bags again, and I also went to the volunteer with sunscreen. Cannot say enough about the volunteers....they were amazing. 3000 volunteers!

Run / 26.2mi. / 3:58:13 / 9:05 per mi

Coming out of transition onto the run course in an Ironman is so weird. Just did a big swim. Just did a big bike. Just going to head out for a marathon!

I knew the course was two loops. I knew it had some rollers. I knew there were some hills, as I read race reports from last year and have looked at the course profile. No one....not one person...described how hard these hills actually are. What a beat down. They are steep, they are TOUGH!

Starting out the run is approximately 2 or 3 miles of downhill...all the way. I cannot say it enough times, the crowds were enormous in these spots. I realized as I was running downhill out of transition ... I never scouted the run course! ... and further realized ... I have to run back up these hills.....TWICE!

My main goal for the day was to run the run.

I set out for the first half marathon with the mindset, thought process and mantra:
Run easy, light and smooth....easy,light,smooth....run at a pace that can do no harm....easy light smooth.

Around mile 7, I saw Bryan in his Captains Hat running toward me. I drifted to the middle of the road and so did he...an awesome high five and some words of encouragement and we were on our way. We were both smiling and it was awesome moment. Two previous fat guys running a marathon in an Ironman. I had to laugh it was so cool.

Got through the first half marathon relatively unscathed at 1:50. As I crossed the halfway point and headed out for the second half and another 13.1 miles this thought crossed my mind and I played a little game of Would-you-Rather:

"Would you rather be heading out for a second half marathon in an Ironman Triathlon"
or
"Would you rather be heading into another 12hrs in the second half of a 24hr Treadmill run?"

Sorry EMZ, the Tri run won out. But thanks for the inspiration:)

At mile 15 it became survival mode from aid station to aid station. I was now walking each aid station combining cups of ice with Perform and also sucking on oranges. I would just try to hang on in-between each aid station and run the best I could.

Saw a woman hunched over puking at mile 17.

Around mile 20, I saw the Captain again....another high five and smiles and we continued to plug away. Huge lift for me seeing Bryan on the course it really helped.

I had many different thoughts during the marathon...I thought of the NYC Firefighter Matt Long and his story of endurance and determination. I thought of my own story and where my life stood just 5 years ago. I thought of my friends that have passed away in the last several years from the same affliction that I have. I thought about how grateful I am that I am able to run.

The hills......those hills at the end! Around mile 22 the math started....I figured I had a really good chance to get under 11hr...but I really wanted a sub 4hr marathon. All of my walking through aid stations was starting to really take a toll on my pace average and it was going to be really close. I had even come to a complete stop at a couple of the aid stations, to enjoy the buffets.

No more of that...I had to bring it home.....Don't be Denied....time to SIU!! I allowed myself to walk the second half of the first huge hill, but was brisk through the aid stations no walking, only to drink. I switched from Perform to Coke.

I trudged up the second hill and picked up my pace just a little at the top. The final mile is slight downhill and I really picked up my pace. All of a sudden I started to enter the Olympic Oval and it totally hit me: I was going to make it !!!!!!!!!! I did it!!!!!!! Could not freaking believe it. Still can't. SO HAPPY and SO EXCITED. I started to well up as I entered the Oval. I thought for sure I was in for an all out cry but it never materialized....I was too pumped up.

I headed for the Timex Finishers box and Mike Reillys voice, just as I had visualized many times at the track doing intervals over the past few months. What a feeling.

Ironman.

After the race I was easily able to connect with my sister, and waited for Bryan to finish. It was so great to hang out after doing Ironman....in Lake Placid, with Bryan after it was his initial blog I found in the first place. Just so special.

We were joined in the finish area by Simon and John P., and we all got to hang out for pizza and chicken broth:)

amazing amazing amazing day.

the best.

After showering and getting a burger and fries, my sister and I headed back down to the finish area to watch and cheer the 15:30 to 17hr finishers. UNREAL.

Mike Reilly was at his best, he came down from his tower and was in the finish chute with the Pro winners from the day, Heather Wurtele and TJ Tollakson, as well as Ben Hoffman who finished 2nd....along with tons of fans and many many Ironman finishers in their finishers shirts, finishers hats, and medals (including me)

If you ever do an Ironman and have a chance to go back to the finish area for the final hour finishers...do so. Especially if Reilly is the guy.

Oh yea.....I got my jacket Monday morning in the Ironman Store :-)


IM Lake Placid video

31 comments:

Unknown said...

I literally have chills and the biggest smile! What an amazing day for you! Congrats Ironman... it's a feeling that will never leave! :) And wear that jacket proudly dude... you earned it!

Matty O said...

FREAKING AWESOME STORY BUDDY!

I knew you would just crush this too. Way to go!!!

IronDRog ;)

Bryan said...

Awesome Race Report!!!! Felt like I was right there, maybe the best I've ever read.

Congrats again on not only finishing but destroying it for you first ever Ironman. I can't imagine there is more than 1% of the guys your age that did a sub 11 hour Ironman for their first one. Simply amazing!!!

Keep up the good work and I think the best is yet to come, time wise. Race wise, you're first is usually the best but in your case I can see Kona in your future.

You knocked it out of the park, what a great day you had.

Keep on truck'n.

Your brother in arms,

The Captain.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

THis gave me chills, CONGRATS!!!

Anonymous said...

SO glad Matty O tweeted this and that I read it! So awesome! I may have welled up reading about you crossing the finish line.

Anonymous said...

SO glad Matty O tweeted this and that I read it! So awesome! I may have welled up reading about you crossing the finish line.

Caratunk Girl said...

Derek. What an amazing RR. You are so awesome, I am so happy I got to meet you. I had tears in my eyes reading this.

You earned that jacket man, wear it proudly.

Aimee said...

I had chills and was teary eyed reading through your post!! What an amazing experience you had!! Woohoo!!! You did sooo awesome!! What an amazing accomplishment...awesome!

it's all about pace said...

I rise from my chair and bow in your direction. Well done sir... not just the race but the entire journey. Very. well. done.

Jon said...

Great story Derek! I was so cool meeting you in person finally. You freaking killed that course. I knew you would do sub 11. After you knocked that HIM out of the park the other month, I just knew you were going to have a special day.

Revel in this! I see Kona in the future for ya!

Unknown said...

Wonderful RR Derek and awesome race!

It was fun tracking you throughout the day!

Congrats on getting your jacket!

Pahla said...

Maybe you didn't cry, but I did!!! I am so happy for you and so proud of you! Congratulations on a truly excellent race!

Emz said...

You. Are. Holy.
F r e a k i n g.
Amazing.

I've got all sorts of crazy salty drops falling from my eyes.

Derek. You. Killed. This.

Incredible. Absolute-freaking-lutely. Incredible.

XLMIC said...

I was following along on those links Jeff provided! It was so cool to see you all with your splits :) Congrats on an awesome race... a job well-done!

Chris K said...

F-ing Awesome D-Man. Your story is a rad one. Talk about coming full circle. Sincere congratulations. Cool that you got to meet Mandy and Emily/AJH....some of my favs.

Betsy said...

Congrats Ironman. You definitly belong in the club.

IMAZ in 2012???

My Boring Triathlon Blog said...

Killer time!!! awesome race!! congrats!!!!

Ironman By Thirty said...

You earned that jacket! Wear it with pride!

What an awesome race report. You totally killed it out there!

The plan works! You and Jeff are proof. Let's hope I don't let it down now. :)

Anonymous said...

You killed that IM! All of your fans (aka: bogger friends) were on twitter and cheering you on the entire time. You are my hero now.

Unknown said...

You are fantastic... speedy too... congratulations!

Annie said...

You are freaking amazing! Great RR. So inspirational. Way to go Ironman!

Jamie said...

THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!
You earned that jacket and you killed it. You are a great inspiration for us all out here that dream of doing IM!

Jill said...

Totally sitting here in tears, Derek! You ROCKED that race and I couldn't be more proud of you. I can't even tell you how many times I thought about you on race day - I hope you felt the vibes being sent your way from all of blogland - everyone was rooting for you, and I couldn't be more happy for you!!

Kona, here you come baby!!

Ironman hugs to you!!!!!!

Darren said...

inspiring race report. I was up there volunteering and signing up for IMLP next year, can't wait.

Pete32 said...

Way cool D! It has been a pleasure reading your blog and following your journey to your first IM. Great job and great RR. You have inspired me to pursue my IM dream even more.

Great job and Great race!

The Triathlon Rx said...

Following you through this training has been so inspirational D. I am so ecstatic and happy for you, and I can only wait to see what you will do next!

LOVE the Herb Brooks words of encouragement. :)

p.s. I would like to remind you that we have still never done our LTF spin class together!! Let me know when you're up for it.

Quinton J said...

The pic says it all brother. Nice freaking work. I'm WAY proud.

TRI714 said...

So happy for you !! That was a great read . Well done, well done !

valen said...

D-Man, you are an Ironman!,... I guess you'll be re-playing that bit again and again over the next few months? years?... well.... you earned it and no one can take it back from you.
the times are amazing and I hope I can emulate your journey when my time comes... always a pleasure to read and look at your pics... keep it up!

FranP said...

Great race report. What an amazing day for you, Derek! Congratulations on achieving all of your goals. So glad John and I finally had a chance to meet you. The blogging/triathlon community is remarkable! :)

Maria (maslife) said...

Congratulations, Derek! It was great to meet you. What an awesome race you had for your first IM - incredible!!

Are you on Twitter? I follow Bryan "the captain" on Twitter - he cracks me up!

Enjoy that glow as long as you can and when the post-IM depression sets in - sign up for more races - ha! ha!