I've absolutely reached my limit with indoor training. But I have to suck-it-up as outdoor rides will be virtually impossible over the next week due to weather, and I'll have to bank several 2hour sessions on the bike.
Might have to put the bike back on the trainer....as I can't afford another repeat of yesterday and today...
I continue to struggle Big Time mentally and also some general physical fatigue. This is actually a good thing as I will take general physical fatigue over an injury any day. (knocking on wood now)
Yesterday I went to the LTF club in EP with an expected brick on the Spin Bike and Treadmill. I made the mistake of having my work blackberry with me and was monitoring it over the first hour on the bike. I then decided to scrap the workout and go into the office, and would finish the workout later in the night. I completed 50 minutes of the 1:45 bike and none of the run.
By the time evening rolled around and I had a shot at it again, I decided rest was better than heading to the club again at 10pm.
This morning I overslept my early alarm, and started out again on the Spin bike this time at the LTF Crosstown club with a planned 1:55 / :45 brick. Bailed again after an hour...went to work.
Back to the club after working a grand 3 hours and started up yet again at 1pm. Figured if I could notch a 1:55 bike and :45 brick that would make up for yesterday's miss and also complete today.
Bailed again after one hour,. headed home figuring even though it's cold out I could gear up and do the final bike portion and brick run outside.
Wrong again! I am not a cold weather rider....lasted 17 minutes. It was a brutal cold wind there was no way I was going to last an hour in 45 F cold wind crap. Bailing on workouts and trying to make up the leftovers later in the day or the next day is not a good plan for me. Next week the goal will be to not be meddling around like this again.
The good news is this left time for an afternoon 1.5hr nap!
I've got to be able to grind it out indoors on the bike for the next week. must...must...must.
The other good news is that I only have 2 swims and technically 60 bike minutes with a 45 min brick run remaining for week 10 (although some of the rides will have obviously been broken up:)
More bright side and even better news, is the fact that before yesterday I ran four days in a row and feel great with regard to injuries that have been nagging me over the past few months. They are most definitely subsiding.
I felt awesome during each run:
-Sunday 15 miler
-Monday - 6miles outside with 24min of tempo speed run in the middle... ended up with 45:39 total for the six miles
-Tuesday - 6 miles outside with hills
- Wednesday - 45 minute brick run easy pace
It was so nice to finally get outside on the bike this week on Tuesday, for a 1:15 ride. I was actually hoping for some better results after the last two months of indoor cycling, but was only able to muster about 18mph average and actually felt pretty cashed getting to that pace. Lots of work to do on the bike and as luck would have it....my schedule seems to be bike heavy!
I have decided to just use the same tires I used last year that came with the bike, and that I also used on the trainer all winter. I plan to slap some new kicks on around early or mid June? I bought a Continental 4000 Grand Prix already and plan to buy another....unless I get any good recommendations from all the expert cyclists out there. If you have any suggestion or recoommendation PLEASE let me know:)
16 comments:
First. You. Are. Awesome.
Second. Quit. Your. Job. ;)
Third. You. Are. Freaking. Awesome.
Fourth. Great job. On. The running.
Fifth. Leave. Your. Work. Phone. In. The. Car.
Its a tough time of year on the bike. I hear ya! I'm gonna break down if I gotta do another trainer ride. Fortunately the weather has been just barely good enough to sneak a few rides in. Figure out how to dress for success! Layer up, shed as necessary.
Great running! You got this!
I use Michelin Pro Race 3 on all my bikes/wheelsets. I have your continentals on my training wheels but I haven't got out on them yet. I love the PR3's though.
I hear ya about biking in the cold and how riding on the trainer sucks. I think your goal for next week to not meddle around with your training is going to be great for you. That's terrific news that your runs went well and you're not hurting at all. Keep up the good work.
This weather is going to change here soon and I think your whole disposition on the training is going to change, too and you're not going to let work get in the way.
18 mph? Um...I'm stoked when I get to 16. :) Guess I'll never be a real tri like you.
Hope you get in a great ride this weekend!
This weather sucks! I do not want to put my bike back on the trainer. I agree with EMZ, you should just quit your job.
Stick with the Continental Tires. Those are good! Been using em for 3+ seasons now and have few issues (knock on wood!)
This time of year is just hard because you never know what the weather will be. Riding on the trainer every time is just mentally challenging, so give yourself some slack! You are doing the best you can do and will be fine!! Nice job on your runs!
Curse that work blackberry!! Bad Blackberry. I hope your weather warms up fast so you can get outside. I just don't know how you do it.
AS for the tires, I'm not the bike mechanic of the household but the hub's swears by Hutchinson Fusion Comp. They are on my road and tri bike.
Sending some of my 87 degree weather your way!
It happens to all of us. I always go through stretches during IM training where nothing goes right. This weather is awful. I started out yesterday outside and the freezing cold and brutal wind forced me onto the trainer after 20 miles. 20 miles later I was running to the gym to do my brick on the treadmill. SO SICK OF IT!
I work crazy hours and have to juggle too. It's very hard, but the reward of getting the training in is that much better.
On tires, I love the Vittoria Rubino Pro. I ride the Pro Slicks for races and the regular Pros in training. Love them. I had the Contis for a long time and agree with Jon, they are good too!
I love how you are fretting about missing one or two workouts, but still got in, if I counted right, 7 including a 15 mile run!
I'm late to the party, but I love the Michelin Krylions. They are a bit heavier (a few grams) than "race" tire but the last set lasted me over 3500 miles with no flats. Knock on wood.
Gotta have some down weeks to make the good weeks all the better.
Things will pick up, don't you worry one bit.
Oh, and ditch the phone during your workouts (if you can) :)
I feel ya dude. And I know that sometimes you need to take the calls. We work so we can play. Without the job there will be no playing - take the calls, but only if they are critical!
DROG! Still could put the trainer in front of a Habs game or two eh?
I leave my phone in the car when I go to the rec center or I leave it in another room on the trainer.
I tell myself, I am carving this time out for ME, not for me to do work.
Might need a recovery week and bank down the miles to let your body heal up. Probably tired so that your body can repair the muscles.
Keep moving forward, don't worry bout missed workouts at this point.
I hear you man, I am DONE with indoor biking...except I am not because it snowed today. WTF???
Work always gets in the way of my training. Boo. You are amazing though, way to get it all done.
95
We understand life gets in the way, we get we have to take care of other things, this is our hobby, isnt our bread maker
Stick with the 400's good, solid tire
Post a Comment