Sunday, April 3, 2011

Daylight


It's the light at the end of the tunnel of winter...back to back days of over 50 F have melted most of our snow. This weekend we got the bikes down from the rafters and pumped the tires with air and went out in the neighborhood for our first ride.


I'm still probably a couple of weeks out from a regular training ride outside, since I am pretty fair weather when it comes to temperature and hate to ride when it's cold out. I also like to wait for the streets to clear of all the winter crap.


Everywhere you go it seems people have a little comment about the break in the weather and how nice out it is. Pretty sad since it's not even 60 yet and we had just one day of clear sunshine (yesterday)


It was also totally awesome to have the Saturday off from training yesterday. I finished week 8 of Ironman training on Friday and enjoyed the day parenting on Saturday. I'll have to try and work out more Saturday's off since that is typically a full kids day.


Also last week I stumbled into a masters like swim club on Friday mornings. There was 3 guys swimming laps at the direction of a woman on the edge of the pool who was instructing. They hvae an opening and I am going to start joining them on Friday mornings. Once open water swims are available again on Wed mornings my swim schedule will be set with Su,W,F and one floater day.
-
With a completed 1:15 Spin this morning and the first check mark of week 9, I'm hoping to knock out a Sunday afternoon of house chores....though we are going to "Hoppy Hour" with the bunny today at some place where bunnies meet up for social time?!! This is getting weird:)


11 comments:

Matthew Smith said...

DRog, I'm a pansy when it comes to riding outside, so don't feel bad if you don't want to do it either. Plus, if there's still snow on the roads, that just sucks for a ride.

Way to "stumble upon" that swim group. That sounds like fun.

Enjoy your kids, buddy!

Aimee said...

Yay for a sunny day!!
I'm with you about riding outside. I can run when it's cold out, but I am a total wuss when it comes to riding in the cold!

Yay for the master's swim. That's awesome! I need to find one of those!

Ironman By Thirty said...

The master's swim sounds awesome! I need to stumble into something like that.

8 weeks done! That's a third of the way! Woohoo!

Fingers crossed your good weather keeps up for you.

Have fun at Hoppy Hour - that just sounds weird :)

Jill said...

Mother Nature is paying Denver back BIG TIME today for all the awesome weather we had all winter. Yesterday it was 84 and I got a sunburn riding my bike outdoors and today it is 30 and snowing. I guess we need the moisture...but I'd prefer rain.

Glad it's warming up for you FINALLY and the girls got their pink bikes out (Jealous of that color for sure!). YOu're such a great dad!

Jon said...

Totally join that master's team! I wish I had one that was good around here...

Glad that mother nature finally warmed up for ya. I still don't know how you do it working out AND managing life with your family. Hats off to ya!

Unknown said...

I'm with you on being a fair weather rider. Unless it's sunny, calm and 60, I'm a wuss about it! :) Then again, this time of year, 60 feels like the middle of summer! :)

Glad you found the master swim club!

Unknown said...

You'll love masters if for nothing else but accountability. Very cool.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Masters will kick some butt, I am a believer in it, great hard workouts

You didnt get our weather then, its been miserable all weekend

Matty O said...

LOL hoppy hour. Too funny man. Glad your girls are into the bunny and you aren't taking care of it yourself!

I can't wait for our official IM training to start. I love the countdowns :)

Kristin Bradfield said...

It's still cold here but I may start sucking it up and riding outside at least on the weekends, I am also pretty fair weather!

it's all about pace said...

Glad to hear that you found a Masters group... Sorry about the cold weather up there... we rode almost every Saturday... all winter... but the coldest we rode in was hight 30s... Summer is just around the corner tho