Thursday, April 28, 2011

I think I have figured it out?

It only took three months but I think I have finally figured out this training schedule I am following and how my body (and mind) adapt to it.



I have been getting pretty down each Wed. or Thur. as I either miss workouts completely or end up with just the worst effort ever.



Because I start each week on Sunday, and because I normally cram together swim days S/M/T....I have usually worked through more than 50% of the weekly schedule by the end of Tue. night. By the time Thur. rolls around my body needs a break.



This has been the case almost every week I think. Going forward Thursday will now officially be a day off....no training!



Last week marked the first week with an "incomplete" as I missed a 4hr bike session. If this was a run or a swim that I missed, I would let it go....but I really need the bike time so I plan to add it in as a make up in the month of May.



Actually I tried really hard to get it in before Easter weekend. I had no chance to get it in over the weekend and our weather has been just incredibly gross, so that meant the trainer as my option for the 4 hour session. Due to full solo parenting and work schedule on Thursday, I got up at 2am to get done early enough and allow myself time to shower before kids waking up.



at 2am I made coffee and sat next to my bike which was all ready to go on the trainer. Sat there from 2am to 230am debating whether or not I could go through with it.....and back to bed I went!



Also this week: the start of no more salt shaker for me, and replacing white rice for quinoa....I am also adding more fruit and more veggies in. The salt shaker was getting out of hand, I was just dousing everything with it...especially white rice with hot sauce and gluten free soy sauce, topped off with about half a salt shaker... kidding. kind of....... The first three days this week has not been terrible on it.



I am in the middle of a recovery week and (patting myself on the back) also took yesterday off completely.


Still just one outdoor bike ride this year....hoping May turns out okay? About to give up completely on the weather....if anyone watched Sportscenter last night....it was actually snowing a bit during the Twins game.





19 comments:

Pete32 said...

I hear you load and clear regarding the weather. If it's not raining, it's cold. And a 2am scheduled work-out, now you have me beat.

Emz said...

has
anyone
told
you
today
that
you
are
freaking
amazing?

freaking. freaking. freaking.
AMAZING.

it WILL all come together Derek.
your dedication, determination, fight & spirit ---- it's all there. you are doing it. no getting down/frustrated [for longer than 10 minutes].
you've got this.

Matty O said...

I would have at least cussed my bike out before I went to bed ;)

You are fine man. I like the adjustment to the schedule, that is SMART training!

Keep up the good work, life and work always get in the way GRRRR!

Caratunk Girl said...

2am? Holy crap, at least you actually got out of bed, I have planned that before and said f-it as soon as the alarm went off. I think the schedule adjustment is SMART!

Life happens, your dedication is going to pay off big time come July.

86. Holy crap. 86.

Must go change pants now. Also going to make sure my name is still on the roster. I will check for you too.

Keep it up D, things are going to work out for IMLP. I am doing a scout the weekend of May 19, will give you full report.

Unknown said...

Don't get down on yourself because this shit is hard.

And this PLAN is hard!

I am midway through Week 21 and my body and mind are both battered and beaten. I've been trying to write a post about it but just can't find the words to put it all together?

The good news for you is that when you finally get some sunshine you are going to get a second wind!

Jill said...

Half the battle is figuring out what your body responds best to. Looks like you're winning there!

TRI714 said...

You sir are a warrior ! Don't forget it !

it's all about pace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
it's all about pace said...

got up at 2AM to train???... I can normally talk myself outta getting up to pee at 0200... I think you are doing well... you really can do no more training than you can recever from...

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Keep your head up, All of this is hard, the training is hard, the mental game when you look at your plans, trying to figure out how your gonna do this is hard, hang in there

The Triathlon Rx said...

It definitely takes a ton of trial and error to figure out what works best for your body and your schedule. Good for you for sticking with it, and taking the rest when your body needs it!

Chris K said...

I am quite sure that I would not have gotten out of my bed at 2:00 a.m. I seriously doubt Elite athletes get up at 2:00 a.m. Seems counter productive to me.

Ironman By Thirty said...

Sounds like a smart plan. Like you, I moved the schedule around a bit and it seems like by mid-week I am more than half way through the mileage and my body is beat down. I've managed to survive through month 1, but may have to re-evaluate by the time I get to where you are at.

2:00?!? Now that is the craziest thing I have heard all day!

Jon said...

2AM man? Yeesh! I have done the stare at the bike on the trainer thing many times. Its all mental!

JohnP said...

Well played - those rest days are what keep me sane! I look forward to each and every one of them! :)

Find what works for you - you've got this!!

Annie said...

Like everyone else I think the adjustment is a great idea. You have to do what works for you!

Aimee said...

I cannot believe you got up at 2AM to do a bike trainer ride. I would have gone back to bed too!
I have no doubt that you will figure out the training thing soon! It sounds like taking Thur. off is a great idea!
I really hope your weather starts getting nicer so you can get out to ride. Trainers are alright, but being outside is just soo much better!

Julie said...

Hey Derek,
How and the hell are you? I took a little blogging break and wanted to check in with you. It sounds like you are training like crazy and doing well!! Keeping my fingers crossed that we finally get some nice weather. Seriously, can we just have one nice day???? Is that too much to ask for?

I hope that you have a fantastic weekend! Take care!

Julie

Matthew Smith said...

YOU'RE THE MAN! Enough said...