I am through my first real down slump of the IM training schedule. From Tuesday through Thursday I was really struggling mentally with my training and fitting in what I wanted.
I was able to post some decent sessions on Friday and today and have full check marks for week 9, and as a result feel fine again...
Wednesday I really wanted to knock out my long run, and set out in the morning from the E.P LTF club.... but I brought my old water belt by mistake which doesn't fit me anymore (too big:) I grabbed a water bottle and set out figuring I would just carry it the whole time - no big deal. But then my iPod crapped out at 2miles and I mailed it in for the day.
I actually tried to regroup with my long bike session in the evening, only to fall short again.
Thursday didn't get much better for me, and I ended up taking the whole day off. By this point I was questioning my fitness level...after all I am nine weeks into the schedule but I don't feel any different, or I don't feel any gains at least.
I feel better today after having completed a 4hr bike on Friday, and a 15 mile run today.
Better yet I just took the bike off the trainer while I am watching the Masters...no more indoor tri bike rides for me!
Friday I did 3hr on the Spin Bike at LTF XT club (the last hour was an actual class) and went home and did the final hour ride on my old mountain bike which I have had since college.
Having taken rest days Thursday and Saturday, I am feeling much better today and ready to tackle week 10 ahead. Nothing crazy on the schedule this week but I am looking forward to a longer brick workout 1hr30 bike / :45 run.
I am also feeling a bit "free" since I finished Mad Men last night. I vow NOT to start any more tv series shows until after the IM!
20 comments:
Go, DROG, GO!!! Man, I know that sometimes training sucks, but you're gonna get through it! Hang in there. Hopefully this weather is getting warmer so we can spend time out on the road instead of trainers. Good luck!
You are doing great with your training! And, it's completely normal to go through a slump during the training! Hang in there!!
9 weeks until your first slump, that's impressive. I hope I make it that long before a bad week.
Way to push through and wrap up the week strong!
PS: Still pop-free after 2 weeks :) We actually just dumped out the remnants of a flat 2-litter than was in the back of the fridge. Don't even remember when it was opened, but I think it is the first time I haven't finished a 2-litter.
Uggg, I hate it when my ipod dies. I am sure a slump is normal. Sounds like you did what you needed and will rock it next week!
Glad you were able to come out of the slump and still put in a good week. Getting outside in some decent weather helps!
I go through a couple slumps every time. You always bounce back and honestly, sometimes I think it's our bodies' way of saying "stop." Usually a day or two of rest or easier workouts than scheduled sets me right. It's a long road to Ironman, we're bound not to love every minute :)
I was in a slump in week 3, I am impressed yours was in week 9. Its a long journey, alot of bumps I am finding out, keep pushing forward
you managed to fit some good training numbers around your slump... one of the reasons I never schedule "rest weeks" becuase they just seem to happen regularly enough when life or lack of motivation get in the way.
Have you ever considered joining a cycling group? I just wonder if all this solo training helps to talk you out of it sometimes when you mentally struggle (as we all do!). I'm glad to hear your training is back on track...but maybe look into something, there's gotta be a lot of those type of things in your area!
Hope the weather is cooperating for you now that the bulk of winter is over.
Stay strong and focused, Derek! I think you've told me that many times over the past year!
Hang in, regroup, you got this. It gets ugly sometimes. And our stupid mind games don't make it any better.
A Real man finishes Ironman on that mountain bike! lol!!
Way to commit by taking the bike off the trainer!
Keep in mind - it never gets easier. You just get faster. :)
We all go through this... it's part of the process! Great job on regrouping and getting it done!
I was in a major slump heading into this weekend. Actually racing picked me right out of that slump. Can't wait for master's swim tomorrow!
This is a tough week for me too. I am in a major slump right now. Started yesterday. I am trying to pull my way out of it. I have a big case of the "I don't wannas" I am going to go for an 8 mile run today and hope I can shake it off. I think if I can get through this week, it will get better.
102
week 10! , that´s a fair bit on already...
and just over a 100 days to go!
Hey man, 9 weeks til your slump? DAMN, I would say success buddy!
You are a machine. Keep in mind sometimes your body is not going to perfectly match that of the schedule requirements, you are human. Throw in the required rest days when you need them alright? Be smart about this.
YOU GOT THIS!
Awesome job. Seriously.
Great run.
Bring
On
Week
10!!!!!!!
We all hit em' ... just keep truckin D! Let me know if you want to ride at all - my bike is officially OFF the trainer and on the roads!
Life's a roller coaster, eh? I hope this week was better for you. I see you haven't posted since last Sunday, maybe cuz you were so busy rocking your training this week!
Post a Comment