It's been a busy week, but then again what week isn't!
I had to work ahead and bank my long workouts during the week, as Stace is going to TX with her sister to meet a friend and stay at some cushy resort in Houston. This means any big blocks of time I would normally be able to squeeze in over the weekend for training were out.
For the first time in a long time this week I had the feeling I was able to complete and mesh together family life, training, and work...all together with great effort. This is the greatest feeling when I don't have the sense I am leaving something on the table in one of these areas.
To accomplish this I had to do some really early morning training...
Tuesday -
Patting myself on the back, I took a rest day!
Wednesday -
I woke up at 3:30am and was on the trainer by 4am for my longest session yet at 3hr30. I made sure to wake up and stretch so I was not completely cold starting off. I took the first half hour as pretty much super easy spinning.,..and followed it with two hours of moderate effort at lower Zone 2 HR.
The last hour I crushed it and was able to push harder gearing and do some intervals to make the time go a little faster.
It wasn't terrible to be on the trainer for that long, I figure I have about 2 or 3 more of those max, before it's nice enough to be able to get outside. (as the schedule has the long rides every other week) I bought Mad Men - Season 1 at Target for $16 and watched the first 3 episodes, I love it. Great great writing and it kept me entertained enough to the point I was not watching the clock.
For the final Hour I watched Nine Inch Nails - "And All That Could Have Been" DVD. This is the most incredible DVD rock show I have ever seen. I have seen this DVD over 100 times. It's possible I have watched it close to 200 times. I have not watched it at all in the last 4 years and 3 months :) :)
I also have the cd version loaded into my iTunes and have listened to the show many times while on training runs for a marathon over the past 4 years. It was incredible to see it again...it's one of the few carry over things from my previous life that I still love. It was fun to see it while on the bike 3+hrs into a ride at 7am, opposed to watching it at 7am after not having gone to bed all night! The performance is from their tour in 2000, which I caught at Target Center, but remember very little:(
Thursday -
Another early bird training day, I walked into LTF Bloomington at 4am and did an hour of core, pushups and pullups...along with an easy 20 minute run. I followed with the 45 minute Spin Class and also added Core class after...it was a good effort.
Friday -
I wanted 20.
I felt good.
At 12 miles into my training run I was at 44th and Brookview about a mile from my parents house. I had started at LTF XT club and was on a new route. If I went straight to Excelsior Blvd and headed back to the club I was figuring I would only get about 16.
If I turned right I thought I could get down to Lake Harriet and hook back up to the path that leads to the club and get 22.
Wrong! I knew I had miscalculated as I started to hit 21 and 22 with where I was at.
How weird I hit precisely 26.2 miles exactly at the entrance to the club from the street.
I felt good at different moments during the run, but I also struggled at times. The final blow was the last mile: uphill into stiff wind! It was funny to get a training run sub 4hr marathon distance, after trying for 3 years to crack that same number unsuccessfully in races.
It was good to get the long run in, my first since AZ at end of January.
23 comments:
Dude, you are an ANIMAL. 3:00 a.m. That is amazing. So impressive. I've heard good things about Mad Men. My favorite TV show is Breaking Bad (same network).
NIN - I gotta check that out if you've listened to that so many times. I don't think I've heard of anyone listening to the same album so much.
Guy 1: Hey Jimmy, what you do yesterday?
Guy 2: Not much, Bobby. Scratched my balls and drank a six pack. What did you do?
Guy 1: Well I was going for 20 but the said eff it I'll run a marathon as a training run. No biggie.
LOL @ Patrick!
You are one crazy dude! Way to go!
I accidentally did my first century ride when I only planned on 75 so I know how it happens.
Gotta love "accidental" marathons! :)
Nice impromptu marathon! Glad things are coming together with the training for you.
A M A Z I N G!!!!
You continue to be a huge inspiration to me. Thank you!! Keep it up, Derek!!
awesome week!
That is crazy amazing Derek! Keep up the great work.
What! You "just accidentally" ran a marathon? Is LP gonna be enough to quench your thirst and appetitie?
Nice job! Mad Men is GREAT! It gets even better.
Did I ever tell you that you are an animal?
AWESOME week you had! I can honestly say I have never "accidentally" run a marathon. You rock!
You are a machine!
Too funny on the marathon lol :) I'm jealous!
Wow! Amazing "accidental marathon" time. As well as an amazing training week. As I have said before, you rock!
Dude, you are nuts. Freaking love it.
132
you crack me up. 3 hr trainer AND an accidental marathon AND you brake 4 hours!!! well done mate, I'm humbled.
You are the man! That is crazy dude!
Now that is great! Lots of respect for you my friend. Really good!
you are hilarious man. Way to crush it in training!!!
I see that happening a lot this season... Great job man, again way to nail those workouts.
I see myself doing what you do and getting up at the butt crack of dawn man. Only way I can fit training into my life.
Be very careful though, Working out in the mornings you are more prone to injury... keep allowing time in the morning for stretching like you have been!
Holy crap - you are a rock star!!!
WHO goes OOPS I ran a mary!!!
Not me, thats who, I will never ever mutter those words
Congrats on doing it yourself, your tougher then I am
so freaking awesome!!
I
love
that!
nothing like a marathon "training" run! ;)
sooooooo, I'd been doing fabulous on GF/DF then I ate a 1/2 a medium pizza yesterday...........and.....
..........so paid for it today. uggg. back on the wagon [again]. ;)
Beaaast!! You are doing such an awesome job Derek! Haha and your choice of trainer-viewing is so much more sophisticated than mine... I was watching George Lopez at 3:30am :D I guess I could have popped in a DVD - tv selection is limited to infomercials or cartoon network at that hour.
I can't believe you accidentally ran a marathon! That is awesome!!
Post a Comment