Week 6 is in the books... wrapping up the first quarter of Ironman training. I feel decent, and am ready to work through the upcoming phases.
My tracking has fallen to pieces and to this point I actually have no idea how many miles I have even run this year. I will have to backtrack on that stat soon, since it's really the only comparison I can make to the last few years. I was logging workouts on beginner triathlete until about a month ago when I fell off the map.
So with no stats to fall back on....my own scorecard Report Card for 1Q:
SWIM - B
I love the training schedule and swimming sets of intervals opposed to one long continuous swim. (which is what I did for the last year before this schedule) My original goal was to stretch out some of the workouts over these first 6 weeks and make 2400 yard swims 3000 yards. I did that just twice over the first 6 weeks.
I actually feel like I have achieved a little bit of speed? This is where having nothing to compare to is a bummer, but I know I am pushing it harder on the interval sets.
Swimming continues to be like golf for me....some days I am just totally on and others I am just completely off. I missed no swim workouts over the first 6 weeks which was a good thing, but could have stretched out some of my sessions longer that required.
On a side note, today at the club I ran into Helen...who is the homeowner that ran the Open Water Swim I did last summer. It was great to see her again and hear about what she has planned for the year, and also let her know how much the swim training at her lake helped me out.
BIKE - B
The trainer is totally kicking my butt. I'm struggling to hang in there and push it on my scheduled sessions that are 1.5hr or longer. Today I did a 1.5hr and it was my best session yet, so it seems some progress is happening.
I have missed no bike workouts so far.
I have split the bike sessions about 50/50 between trainer and Spin Classes at LTF. I had been concerned that there was too much leverage or pressure on the seat post when riding on the trainer, but I think its an illusion. When I am hammering on the trainer and I look down there is the illusion my seat post is bending back and forth....but when I close one eye and fixate on the background I think it is okay.
This could be a C grade with some of the trainer efforts at lower HR, but because I have not missed any of the workouts and have had some good workouts I cant go that low.
RUN - B
Pretty much no missed run efforts, with the exception of one flipped out for a bike session to give my legs a break. Also I skipped out on speed intervals last week for a slow run, again to let the legs come back from a long training run.
I will be completing the upcoming speed workouts now that the snow is melting (more is expected this week?) and the track becomes an option soon. I actually don't really care about using intervals to get any faster in long distance races, but I do think it will help to break up the monotony of regular runs.
I feel like the best thing I can do right now is take it easy when running.
DIET - C
Today is my start new date...again. Over the past few weeks I have been eating a ton, and yesterday found myself eating a bunch of cupcakes the girls made.... rationalizing that I would start eating better today. Day 1 today so far...success! I really am motivated to eat well during the training plan and hope to improve on this.
WORK - A
Work has picked up! I have been with my company 13 years, and in May of 2009 made a lateral move to a more local office with the expectation business would change and I would need a new job anyway. Then last year around this same time our program was extended by 12 months...and just last week we got the same news...which is good news for me, the potential to push out my need for a new job by one more year. If I was smart I'd be setting that up right now...either that or using any my free time for IM training!
NAGS- B
last week I think I was teetering on the edge of some kind of ITBand issue, some kind of hammy issue, and I think I was working on a slight ankle sprain? to go along with some kind of developing foot issue. All of these are subsiding this week and I think I am through the first wave of problems. For the past week I have been doing great at stretching and using the foam roller.
Blogging - D
this actually not a poor grade due to training volume, but rather the change that work is busy. Not much I can do about that, as I have to switch it up when things are good.
Laundry - D
I cant seem to get a handle on it, I always seem behind now.
Yardwork - tbd
I am so dreading this category in the next couple of months
OVERALL - A
I am loving the process and following the training plan. None of the workouts has felt like a burden...yet. Some weeks it has gotten really busy and I have been totally on the run, but so far I am enjoying it.
15 comments:
Cool idea! I can't believe the end of Q1 2011 is already here.
With your new swim programs (intervals instead of long swims), I bet you are going to see your race times plummet. I made the same change last year and dropped my 800yd swim time in a sprint nearly 5 minutes.
Congrats on the good news at work!
Like the report card angle - might have to steal that one from ya!
I am the same way with swimming. Intervals are the way to go and the ones you are doing work like a charm!
You are doing great man!
I love that after all of that you gave yourself an A. It's true though....juggling all of that and keep it going deserves an A.
I'm down to the last quarter of Ironman training again....3 months until IMCDA. Crap!!!! At least this snow is melting!
Yes a well deserved "A" building base... balanced training... good work!
You should give yourself an "A" for determination, and what another person said, for balancing it all. I can't imagine how you can do it all with kids. I can barely get it done and I have nothing really commiting other than a job!
You should totally do this post again in 6 weeks, when you are 12 weeks out. There is either going to be the "oh shit" moment or the "feeling good" moment.
Consistency will get you to the finish line! And you are doing this already. Keep it up!
Your swim will GREATLY improve... I was a doubter of drills until I finally realized, I NEED THEM!
SOLID job. Keep your head up, don't get down on yourself too much, its A LOT to balance man.
Great job and keep nailing these sessions! I am happy that your nags were just that, nags. Go away nags!!!
I love this idea, I might be borrowing this idea
as for the laundry, I use the bike trainer as sorta a game, toss a load in the wash, them hop on the bike, go hard and when its time to put it in the dryer, I hop off, use it as a quick stretch and then hop back on.
I love the grading system you use, us teachers like to see letters :).
I am glad the job thing got a renewal, been on the unemployment line one TOO many times and it is NOT fun and very stressful on the training. This will definitely help.
You know I always up to you for the food intake so no more cupcakes, ok? :) I think I'd do the same thing. You are always one I think of when I go to grab something I shouldn't.
Ok, more A's on the report next time...but you're off to a great start!!
That should say "Look up" opps. :)
I need someone to fold my laundry. It is killing me.
You did all the bike workouts - amazing!
OK I so love this report card idea.
It.
rocks.
to heck with laundry and yardwork but the blog grade must go up! ;)
I like the report card. You are really doing awesome! And I'm super impressed that you haven't missed a bike or run workout.
Nice job with the training! Hopefully this new batch of snow will melt soon, I am ready to mix it up at the track too.
I think you should run another marathon but this time in snowshoes. Just for the heck of it.
Nice work bro.
Post a Comment