After the Halloween half marathon I fell apart and had some serious wimpy workouts combined with really poor eating choices. The result was a 14lb gain from my weight at Ironman in July. Ooops!
I set out December 1st to really hammer workouts and get a good thing going again. I did great, with excellent efforts and lots and lots of biking and swimming...with only minimal running. A week before the half marathon in October I wrenched my calf on an easy six mile run...I now think it was a grade 2 micro tear.
I made matters worse by hammering out a PR time in the half marathon a week after the incident, running with a calf that hurt nearly every step, and was seriously locked up. Afterward it looked like someone had taken a bat to my calf...it was all bruised and swollen. Now almost three months later it is fine again and I think 100%...the half marathon bid was worth it since it got me a NYC marathon quali time.
While posting some great workouts in December, I didn't really change my eating all that much (any) and toward the end of the month I was only down 3lbs. I made a little goal for myself to lose 10lbs through the holidays from 12/21 to 1/21.
I hit this goal about a week ago and have maintained since then.
In the past five years I have had some pretty good New Years Eve resolution quits. I'm a quitter:
in 07' on NYEve I quit nicotine. At the time I was a pack-&-a-half-a-day of Marlboro Lights and about a tin a day of Copenhagen chew. This year on New Years Eve I was 5 years Nicotine Free! Very psyched about that one.....and that one was a total bitch... I don't want to have to re-do that again.
in 09' it was soda pop. At the time I was a three-to-four-a-day 20oz Diet Mountain Dew habit. I would basically drink coffee until around 1030am, fire up a DietDew before lunch...one with lunch, one around 4p and usually one more late night.
This year my New Years Quit was dairy, meat, and going back to gluten free again. Since the Ironman in July I had slowly let breads and pastas and cheese back into my diet...to the point where it was again a problem (big surprise) ... I was consuming massive amounts of cheese and pasta and breads. All the time.
Even at the kids swim team party last weekend I did not partake in any of the free pizza...it was not easy but I felt great about making it through...not easy since I was serving slices!
I already feel better 19 days back into the diet plan. I told myself if I could lose 10lbs I would let myself shave my legs again and I would post on the blog. The added weight along with the hair on my legs was driving me crazy. So I shaved this week... and here is my post.
So far I have entered one local Olympic Tri and two marathons: Grandma's and NYC. It's funny after running AZ a year ago I thought to myself I need to stay away from the urban marathons. They are hard for me. And since that thought I have run two and scheduled two more. Whats wrong with me?
Cold weather finally arrived here with our first cold snap and sub zero temps tonight...they had the nets up on the pond after school the other day...notice the foreground...no snow! unheard of in MN mid-January. I'll take it...
13 comments:
Way to be a quitter!!!
I gave up pop (not soda) last year during IMWI training. I still have a can once a month or so now (usually on pizza or taco night), but I really don't miss it like I thought I would (I was on a 2 can/day habit for a long time).
Shaving your legs in the winter???? BBrrrr... you Minnesotans must be hardcore.
i would sign up for a Deca-Ironman before I ever quit pizza.
EVAR.
way to tough it out! :)
Same w/ kevin on the pop, (not soda) but I allow one can a month MAYBE.
Dude, you passed on the pizza you were serving, UNHEARD OF! I would have caved big time.
Heather and I went gluten free... dude, my stomach is MUCH better running and bodily functions are "normal"... amazing what that little change did for me. It really isn't that bad either, my only complaint is the toast in the morning w/ my eggs... I need to get a better gluten free bread recipe still.
Other than that, it has been relatively easy to make my food choices. We have not gone out w/ friends since we went gluten free though, so there is potential for havoc to be dumped on me :)
This weather... what is up w/ it? Mid 40s all next week for us?! INSANE!
Great 13.1 PR... however, I can't yell at you since I did the same thing, went out and hammered it when I really shouldn't have... we will never learn :)
Hive five on the awesome training man, keep up the great work!!!
You seriously are THE MAN! Way to be a quitter! I've never smoked, but it sounds like it would majorly suck to try and quite. Way to go on that one. Plus, the soda quit? Nice work! I don't drink very much either...maybe once a month at Qdoba's. Way to lose all that weight too. Man, you're killing it! 2012 is already looking like a great year for you! WAY TO GO!
At first I thought this was going to be a post about quitting training...but you totally surprised me! Congrats on all of your quits...that is just awesome!
I used to drink Dr. Pepper ALL the time in college, and then I just started cutting back and before I knew it I didn't miss it at all. Now, when I have a soda it tastes sooo sweet and so disgusting, I can't even drink it!
Nice job with your weight loss and training! Woohoo!
I've been thinking about you and about to send an email to see how you were; good to see a post from you :).
I couldn't be happier that things are falling into place for you....if there's one out there that deserves it, it is you my friend. Glad all your quitting has worked for you, you are focused and determined and now what it takes to get these tough things done. I'll carry your words with me this weekend in my race! :)
I've been going gluten-light in hopes that it will resolve some of my stomach and sinus issues. So far, not much change, but I did succumb to the pizza last night (feel bad about that...maybe it was just carb loading pressure?? :)) and not feeling that great today. WHich is interesting since I don't have a wheat problem....but maybe being off wheat for two weeks and then bringing it back in is causing this, not sure (seem too short of a period) but looking forward to giving the gluten gone thing a try for awhile.
Hope you're going to be posting more now that you have some specific goals out there. Very excited for you that you qualified for NY, I know it was a big goal of yours! :)
kudos for the 5 years w/o smokes and chew... I quit too... then quit liquor...
you did *not* tell me that we were supposed to start training hard on Dec 1 or about the "lose weight at Christmas" thing!
I blame my over fatness and poor fitness on you.
;-)
good to see you posting again.
Hey stranger!! I was hoping I'd you 'round sometime soon. :) Those are some big time quits!! And not only better for your health, but your WALLET! -> Which all of that money now goes into racing and tri goodies... hahah!
Are you going entirely meat free? Or just less of it? I don't think I want to go back to being 100% vegetarian all the time, but I will be during ALL of lent, and hopefully every Friday throughout the whole year. For me the not-eating-meat part isn't difficult, it's remembering what day of the week it is! ;)
Hey you!!
you are so amazing. love this.
love all the quitting going on!! ;)
and
no
pizza.
Yes, you are my hero.
So awesome.
keep quitting!!
good to hear back from you
Great stuff buddy, good to hear you're on the straight and narrow again.
I let things go a bit since IMLP, not that I was on form then anyway. I had a spot of skin cancer which messed with my mind and didn't train much but ate more.
I'm back on the road to fitness too though. IMMelbourne in March and then Roth in July.
Always great to read fellow PFG's trials and tribulations, we are a brotherhood, it's a war, and we're winning!
Way to go brother!
When you make a commitment you really follow through!
Welcome back to the blog world.
Congrats to you! Especially on being nicotine free. I am a former smoker as well and feel it was the best change I ever made in my life. I have 14 pounds to lose as well so you've inspired me. I have gained 20 gradually over two years and am 6 pounds into the loss. Keep up the great work! If my foot holds up I'll be running NYC this year as well!
Post a Comment