After feeling pretty good about my fitness and weight loss progress, and signing up for the Ironman as a result, I was sufficiently put in my place over the weekend!
We finally had our first winter blast of freezing temps and snow... I was still able to get out there for a decent 1hr45 run. It wasn't so much the sub-zero temps that got me, it was the uneven terrain of ice and snow that wreaked a little havoc on my glutes and calf's and pretty much any stabilizing body part.
But I got through it and feel good about that...I've scheduled a massage this week as my reward for my first long run in three months plus a very decent 3hr bike with a 45min treadmill brick run. It's official - I'm already on the reward system.
I also got on the board with two solid swims of 4500yds & 4100yds. Even with the weekend completed workouts I was still feeling a little overwhelmed with where I am at compared to where I think I should be. I will now start following the Fitz IM training plan again. I've got the plan out and I am now committed to nailing each workout as hard as I can for the remaining 15weeks ! Huge Huge Thanks and Props to these guys for giving me the decoder ring!
If I can get through this week I'll be feeling a little bit better about my standing....three trainer rides of almost 2hr each should give me a good test. More tension to adjust for the hills in StG? Any other suggestions on how I might prepare for this bike course while training in MN winter would be welcome and appreciated!
I'm looking forward to the required swim distances in the plan as they will be less than what I have been doing!
11 comments:
Way to be out there busting your butt even if it's freezing cold! Good for you! This is going to be a quick journey for you, but St. George will be super rewarding. Nice work!
Ha! You really do need a decoder ring for the Fitz IM plan.
All you can do now is crush intervals on the trainer. Make 'em hard!
Also, both Kevin and me have dropped the 4th swim in each week and added an extra ride. Based on the IMSG bike course you may want to try this too!
Winter left us as quick as she came this weekend haha. It was 60 this week!!!
Hey man, Wildflower has a hilly bike course too so I am in the same boat for biking.
We are doing a lot of one legged intervals to make sure we have an efficient pedal stroke and to strengthen our legs.
The other thing we do a lot of is high cadence spinning and low cadence spinning. You are going to be spinning high cadence to climb the hills and the low cadence builds the leg muscles again.
Hope that helps. I really fear the hilly run more than the bike haha.
Great job getting out there and crushing it. That plan is YOUR LIFE for 15 weeks buddy.
Nice scorecard
as for hill training inside... You might hate the vibe but spin classes can help.
The power of the decoder ring!
Totally agree with MattyO's suggestions: one leg drills, high cadence and low cadence.
Great workouts this past week. Keep it up!
Jeff and Kevin are awesome resources for sure.
I would look into getting The Sufferfest videos that include hill climbing so that you are not bored on the trainer.
Put the front wheel on some elevated bricks for simulation and away you go.
Nice job on the workouts and you'll be in great shape for IMSG no doubt.
HEY HEY HEY!!! IMSG??? That sounds so good. I am scared right now of my IM I feel like a big ole fatty right now.
Kevin and Jeff are the gurus.
Hot damn... you are in GO mode!! Keep it up!
You know you are in training mode when the reward system hits! Those are some killer workouts - 4000+ swims and 3+ hour bikes, on top of the running? Now that's awesome!
congrats for signing IMSG, that'll be entertaining readin !
and don't worry where you should be, just where you are going to be in 15 weeks.
I trained for Wildflower in April last winter in MN...I know NO ONE has forgotten last winter.
My best advice...come to CO for the weekend! Clear roads, little O2 and plenty of verticle climbing if you wish :)
Post a Comment