Friday, January 20, 2012

trigger pulled

Now that I have rallied to lose the gained weight and get back to the same number I was at in July for Lake Placid...I figure the logical move is to sign up for an Ironman race. So I have pulled the trigger on Ironman St. George.

Looks like I have 15weeks to whip myself into shape or suffer the consequences on May 5th. I'm worried about my running and run base. Last year I incorporated somewhat of a marathon schedule into the first half of IM training, running Nisswa halfway through the plan. I also did a marathon running plan that led right up to the start of that IM training with the RnR AZ marathon in January.

Right now I have done very minimal running with the calf injury from last October. The good news is it feels okay when I run...and also I will be fresh....and I still have plenty of time to get some good runs in. But I am still concerned about my lack of running. Looks like I'll be heading out the door for a 2+hr run this weekend!

I have driven through the St George area several times on road trips from Denver....it seems an interesting area to hold an event, I'll be excited to see what it's all about. This won't be my main race or "A" target for the year...assuming I can get the training in over the next 3 months, I'll still be going to this one with the mindset to have fun and enjoy the moment.

My main goal for this year will be a late season attempt to qualify for the 70.3 World Champs in Vegas. This could happen at one of four races: Branson, Augusta, Miami or Austin. I feel like I am close and would maybe have a shot at one of these sites. It looks like I would have to shave about 10 to 15 minutes of my 4:46 time last year in the half iron. Again the run concerns me with this time as it will be really difficult to duplicate my run split of 1:32 from last summer.

I better get out there and hit the pavement!

15 comments:

JohnP said...

Congrats on registration! w000t!! Nothing like more motivating your ass to train like registering for an Ironman haha!

You definitely have it in you to qualify for vegas! I'd bet money you'll do it this year!

Awesome stuff!!!

Jason said...

Congrats on registering D. I now know 4 people doing the race (Greg - @thelifeitrii) (Rebecca - @TriBeccaTO) and Jeff (@reflectiverunner) so it will be great to watch you all train and race that day.

I raced 70.3 Austin last year and the swim and bike are not a big deal, but the run is very hilly and it is a very competitive race. I don't know much about the other three but that is my take on Austin.

As a matter of fact it is on my list of possible events for this year as well as a final tune-up to IMAZ.

Kristin Bradfield said...

WOW! That is so soon! You really did get back on track. Congrats!

Matty O said...

Damnit. I knew I should have signed up. Pretty pissed now that I can't do it since I committed to wildflower with Team in Training... shit shit shit!

Well, do some recon for me, I have this slated for next year.

Remember man, EASE INTO THE TRAINING! be smart, don't stress the calf out too much too soon.

(still hitting myself about St. George)

You have a qualifier in you, I know it!

I'M Tri-ing said...

I just read your last post about the strides you made over the last few years ( quitting smoking, chewing, diet dews, etc) and now an IM in 15 weeks! I live in the Twin Cities area (Apple Valley) and wanted to ask if you have any good recommendations for area's to do long rides this summer?

Unknown said...

Oh gosh... that'll be awesome! I've heard amazing things about St. George (some good... it's a great race and some not so good... it's hard as heck). If anyone can do it, you can! :)

Matthew Smith said...

Heck yeah! I think it's awesome that you're doing so many events. I might see you at Augusta...either my wife or I WILL be doing it this year. With your intensity and drive, you'll be ready for St. George!

PWickman said...

I'm so incredibly jealous of you right now... I wish I was going the distance again in 2012.

Great work as of late! Get it done in May! I can't imagine doing a spring IM.

RunningLaur said...

Good luck!!

Ironman By Thirty said...

Hell yeah!!! That is awesome!

Good luck with your training!

Are you doing Fitz Level 7 again? Jeff and I are doing a modified L7 for IMMT that has 1 less swim per week and an extra run or bike each week. If you want a copy, let me know and I can shoot you one.

Unknown said...

Jon would call this "EPIC" (or maybe not?)

Going to be pulling for you buddy!

Betsy said...

I'm putting off St. George til 2013...IMAZ in nov, a months to recover & then a quick build to St. George! But....am planning Branson this year! Woo hoo!

My Boring Triathlon Blog said...

congrats! Nothing like signing up for a race to get you back on track

the water temp is chilly

Jon said...

Dude time to get going!!

I have full faith in the fact that you will do AWESOME at this race!

Jill said...

That is soooo exciting! Woohoo! St. George isn't too far from Denver, relatively speaking. Just saying... :)