Wednesday, November 23, 2011

...a training update..

This snowman is likely doomed with record warm temps forecast for Thanksgiving day and mild weather into the weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone out there...I hope everyone has a great holiday and weekend with family and friends.

I for one am super grateful ....grateful for family, friends and health. Grateful to be on this path and journey today...compared to five years ago.

Training has been good over the past month since my half marathon on 10/29. I had an excellent effort in the Monster Half Marathon....I posted the formula for my PR of 1:28:28 as tunes + shoes = PR....however I did leave out the fact the first 5 miles of the run are the same miles 20 thru 25 of the Twin Cities Marathon...in the OPPOSITE direction. This means I was able to enjoy running down Summit Ave instead of up it like the marathon does.

I had been battling a slight calf pull and it showed up at mile 3....but I was able to push through and gut out the pain. I am really happy about the time as it looks like it should get me a spot into the NY Marathon next year before they too tighten their qualifying standards. Where I need sub 1:30 for the 2012 race that will change to sub 1:23 in future races. I am almost certain to return to my favorite city to re-run the site of my first 26.2.

Since the half marathon I have taken off three weeks from running and have been focused on swimming, lifting weights, and getting on the spin bike or the trainer a couple of times a week. I also implemented a 3week no weigh in experiment. I was worried I was being too manic about my weight by stepping on the scale everyday. Turns out that is actually a good program for me since my first weigh in this morning as the highest in over a year.

I'm not too worried about it as I am committed to longer endurance sessions going forward to the end of the year....along with mixing in the running again.

Speaking of longer endurance sessions, today I got on the board for a personal best swim:

100x100

I got the idea about a month ago that I wanted to try and complete 100 x100 yard intervals in the pool.

After sitting in the dentist chair this morning for an hour of teeth cleaning, what could top that better than trying to rattle off 200 laps in the pool?!

I opted to go to the Crosstown LTF instead of EP for a few reasons...the pool is more interesting in that it has more lanes, there are more windows, and you can actually see the cardio workout floor above with the tv's. Small victories. Also its yards instead of meters so I would save a few strokes...

got in the pool at 9:30am

The gear...I was going to be here awhile:)
Brought extra swim caps and extra goggles in case I needed a different feel or a different look (goggle lens look not a "different look")
Nuun tablets
two gel's
1 bottle efs liquid shot






I was prepared to count the laps in sets of ten...using my watch combined with coins to keep track. For each set of ten 100's I would move a coin from the stack to the edge of the pool.




3000 yards in.....




Sunshine! I think I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. It has been so overcast here for so many days already . (Betsy if you are reading this you better be grateful you are not here:)


It was seriously AWESOME to have the rays streaming into my lane through the big windows. Cannot tell you how much I loved this for at least half the session.




One of the funny things about the effort was the activity at the pool. During my first 3000 yards people came and went. Then the pool was empty for awhile. Then more people came and went and it was nearly empty a second time...




10 coins = 10,000 yards (200 laps) = 5.68 miles




The whole thing took me 3hr20 minutes




I did almost all 100's "on two minutes"




0 intervals took longer than 1:37...the majority were done between 1:30 and 1:35




from #81 to #92 I completed 10 intervals under 1:30 including 4 efforts under 1:25 (fastest at 1:23)




I used the same swim cap the whole time...and only switched out the smoke lens for the light blue lens from sets 80 to 95.




I had half a bottle of the EFS at 3000 yards...one Cliff gel at 6000 yards and the last Powerbar gel at 9000 yards. I consumed one bottle of lemon lime Nuun.




I knew I was going to make it when.....I was halfway through the 100th interval


Prune fingers ... DONE
















17 comments:

My Boring Triathlon Blog said...

10,000 Yards!!!! Wow!

Good thing there were no kids around, otherwise your "counters" would have disappeared

JohnP said...

Nice swim!! Sounds like you're ready for the first split of an Ultraman Triathlon!!
10Km swim!

PWickman said...

Holy shit. Well done, amigo. Hope you followed up that epic swim session with lots of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving.

The Triathlon Rx said...

Why is my GReader not updating me when you post!??! I haven't seen any of these!!

The cross town pool looks about 25x nicer than SLP. I should check that out! I'm going to have to be doing a lotttt of swimming in the near future. =/

Jon said...

R u kidding me! No, ARE YOU KIDDING ME! I joke with people about the 100x100. And then joke some more about it.

But you actually did it! Amazing!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

WOW!!!!! 100*100!!!! Insane

I hope you had a great Thanks giving

Caratunk Girl said...

DUDE.

THAT is freaking crazy. 100*100 That is freaking awesome.

MY. HERO.

Hope your Turkey Day was awesome!

Matthew Smith said...

You're the man! That is just incredible to swim that far. I don't think I could ever do that. Way to go!

Ironman By Thirty said...

Bad. Ass.

I'd love to do that workout but my pool is only open for 1.5 - 2 hours at a time.

Nice IMLP water bottle. Gotta rock the IM gear.

RunningLaur said...

Wow! Your swim time is crazy impressive!
Here's hoping that you get some good sunshine - the lack of sunshine can be so depressing.

FranP said...

You are amazing!! Great job and wicked time! My hero! :)
Our pool is only open for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. It sucks!

Aimee said...

10,000 yards?? That is amazing! Wow! I can't even imagine swimming that much!! :)

Betsy said...

Ha! I am reading this...finally. My favorite thing about CO is that it is sunny 99% of the time. For as long as I can remmeber I've cried on my bday & I am sure it's because of the weather. The real test will be 12/9! If I get through without a tear I will salute the beautiful Colorado sun!

Nice swim. You are such a maniac!!!

Jill said...

Oh! My!! God!!!!!
You are seriously incredible!! I would die of complete boredom! What did you think about during that whole time? I might be able to do it if I had a waterproof iPod holder (like my friend, Tara, has) but holy cow you'd have to pay me big bucks to do that workout. Haha. Nice job!!

Like your friend, Betsy said, it's so sunny here all the time and when we get a day of "gloom", it sort of depresses you! You probably remember. Your pool is really, really nice...is that at a big gym? My pool I go to has some of those glass blocks so it's hard to get sunshine inside, but there is a small glass door so at least I can look and see the mountains briefly!

Anyway, sorry for the long delay commenting, I am so behind in the blog world. Been thinking about you and your 5 year anniversary - way to keep strong, so happy for you! And so cool about NYC! I missed it a couple years ago by 11 seconds. Sucks!

Unknown said...

That's freaking amazing! I love the penny idea, but I can't imagine going back and forth that long! You are awesome!!!

Can't wait to see what 2012 brings.

Anonymous said...

Didn't I read a post a few months ago where a mid distance run turned into 26 miles by accident? And now this...amazing

valen said...

looking forward to the Xmas update!
have a great holiday in the cold!

V.