Saturday, April 14, 2012

cold swim...


In an effort to prepare for the supposed cold water swim at Sand Hollow Reservoir at Ironman St George, today I met Charlie at Lake Harriet for a quickie dip in some cold, early spring, MN water. Charlie is my friend and training partner who has helped my training and guide my change in eating (as best as that can be done!)  over the past 18 months since we first met at an open water swim two summers ago as he was preparing for Ironman Wisconsin. He is currently rocking through a Yasso marathon running plan with a 2:50 goal in the second week of May.

The ice was off the lake maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago? Have no idea what the water temp was today, but it was very cold! It was maybe 50 to 55 F? We only did about a 5 to 8 minute swim. It actually was not terrible....

It was good to get the feel of a few strokes in the wetsuit again, and good to get in some cold water. I'll be interested to see what the water is like at IMSG.

In other good news- this past week I was able to bank a couple of decent run sessions. The last run was for 2hr20 and covered about 15.5 miles. It's pretty apparent at this point with reduced running of late that the marathon will be all about survival. However...even if I had been in top notch run form there's a better than decent chance it would still have been all about survival anyway, after suffering through the climbing on the bike course.

Our weather turned "normal" MN spring like this week with some slightly colder temps and  rain, forcing all of my bike time indoors, and also postponing my last long ride into sometime next week. It is supposed to get even colder at the beginning of the week (with snow?)  but I still have hope for two more long rides outside in the next 10 days.

Also I somehow found time over the past 8 weeks to knock off two books. I finished "IronWar" by Matt Fitzgerald and also read "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer (short read)  - I thought both were pretty great. I was hesitant to read Ironwar since it was written by Fitzgerald about Scott & Allen....but I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed the sections of the book on pain threshold and suffering, but also to learn about the backgrounds of both Dave Scott and Mark Allen. The Mt. Everest story "Into Thin Air" is a unbelievable experience told by a gifted writer who was on assignment for Outside magazine....I have never taken the time to consider what goes into mountaineering and these expeditions....amazing stuff.

Bib numbers are out for St George...appears to be about 1700 total registered right now which is some 1200 less than registered at Lake Placid. The website says 2900 finished IMLP last year... is that right? I thought only like 2200 finished. Anyway...I'll be #1160 @ IMSG




11 comments:

Matthew Smith said...

That swim sounded brutal with the water that cold! OUCH! Good for you on getting out there anyway. I think you're a beast for being able to train for IM up there in the cold. Isn't it great to have solid training partners?

Those books are on my reading list! I'll have to get into them soon!

Keep up the good work!

TriMOEngr said...

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Iron War and had the same thoughts about it. My current favorite line is "If you don't want to quit, you aren't doing it right."

Jason said...

I enjoyed the same things about Iron War as you. I will have to check out Into Thin Air next.

i am going into the cold water (of Texas) later today for my first OWS and hoping to do more than 5 to 8 minutes but if it is cold 5 to 8 minutes will sound about right.

1160 will be getting tracked.

Ironman By Thirty said...

Another great week in the books!

2:20 run? I guess your calf is holding up?

Thanks for the book recommendations! I just finished up the Steve Jobs biography - absolutely loved it - so I need something else to read now.

1160. Sweet. 11 hours - 60 minutes = 10 hour finish time.

it's all about pace said...

Dude.... swimming in icewater... yikes

@ 55F I'm still running the seat heaters in my car.

you are crazy

Matty O said...

Love it! Yeah, my issue w/ the cold water (which Wildflower is supposedly cold too) is my feet... they start stinging and then cramp up really bad.

Should be interesting.

Great job man, way to get the big run in. Next stop... IMSG Finish Line!

Betsy said...

On the one hand I want to say you DID NOT swim in Harriet in April...on the other hand I realize that all of my Denver reservoir swims will be about that warm....

Can't wait to hear about IMStG. It's still in that back of my mind for 2013 but won't commit til after AZ!

Jill said...

Wow, St. George is coming up quick! You'll do great on the run. I know it's tough, but you are way tougher! Case in point: That swim in barely unfrozen waters. I think I'd still be taking a hot shower after that brisk swim.

My son is a huge mountain climber, well as one can be for a 16 year old. He would love to one day climb Mt. Everest...of course, after reading that book years ago and others with similar outcomes, I'd be a nervous wreck. Thankfully, he doesn't have a spare 60k to go climb that thing for many years :).

Stay strong, D!!

Heather said...

Wow, I am impressed that you were in a lake this time of year. Just think - in a more normal year, we would probably still have some ice on some of these lakes!

Bryonman said...

Nice work DRog. You stuck it through and you will be strong in Utah.

Betsy said...

Dude - it's Ironman week again! Good luck! Have fun. Be fast.


I'm soooo jealous now that they announced that there will be no IM St George next year.