Monday, April 9, 2012

that was then, now is now


I continue to plug away in prep for Ironman in 4weeks. OMG <4weeks! Actually the training has been pretty decent with some good efforts. I have added six runs now in the past ten days, and the calf seems okay. I'll have to post a couple of longer runs in the remaining weeks.

The added weight from spring break seems to be gone, and I am really close my target for the race...I am thinking I can get there in the last month. This is actually somewhat of a miracle since I have been a complete a$$ with my eating lately. Late night binging and also raiding of the kids ice cream, pastas and breads. It doesn't help when there are trays of Costco mini cinnamon roll things lying around.

The Sunday before Easter weekend I had one of my hardest workouts ever. Both physically and mentally. As late as Friday the forecast was for a high of 80F and sunshine. I was so psyched to bank my long bike in great weather and actually get some "heat" training in. But Saturday they were off on the forecast and Sunday when I set out it was 50F, cloudy, windy, and chilly....again!

Mentally I had to totally re-group as I thought about mailing it in. I really didn't want to ride in the cold wind again. But it wasn't raining and I wasn't on the trainer so I threw on the layers and gloves and figured I would just make the best of it. At about 1:15 into this ride my left shifter broke and I was then stuck in the small ring in front. At this point I really wanted to head home and quit. I did stop at home and dropped off some layers as the sun was coming out, but continued on.

After 4hrs there came a time when I could cut home or head farther west and do the full session. I was sick of all small front ring. The battle in my head went on for about 45minutes what to do. I kept going. The final hour of my ride was more mental battle - I didn't want to run. I kept telling myself to pat myself on the back for sucking it up and getting the bike done in the small ring and forget about the run. I did the run.

When it was over I had my longest single training session - a 6hr45 bike for 128 miles and a 54minute brick run for 6miles - total workout 7:39. This is also a training distance PR for me on the bike...which I did just 4 days after going 125mi. ... so I'm pretty pleased with getting it done.

Today I was trying to figure out where I am at today...compared to where I was at last year with four weeks to go before Ironman Lake Placid

Since I have no training log and don't track anything, the following assessment is from gut feel and memory...

Swimming:
Then - I pretty much followed the 6 month training plan of prescribed swim workouts, I think without missing any, and felt pretty decent going into the Ironman swim.

Now - I have definitely swam more than last year. December and January were way more than what the plan would have called for....and since I have not missed any of the regular swim schedule. I have had some of my fastest 100 and 200 times in the past month, but as always the swim comes and goes....and I have also had some not so great times in the past week. I am hoping race day is an "on" swim day! I definitely will by trying to crush the swim.I think I have improved just a little.

Biking:
Then - last year I would guess I missed at least 30% of the bike workouts in the full 6 month IM training plan. Prior to the race I think I did four rides over 100 miles and a handful of others between 60 and 90. I felt adequately prepared going in and felt like I had a strong ride

Now -  I'm sure I have done at least 10% more than plan, maybe even as high as 15% more. December and January was a ton of biking (and swimming) and since then I have added 90 minutes to each weeks required  bike workouts. I have completed all of these, and in the process so far have: three rides over 124miles and a couple in the 80 range  I have one more long bike to go sometime in the next week.

Running:
Then - way more running than called for last year. I ran a marathon schedule in the first half of the plan, and in the six month training period I think I did two runs of marathon distance plus another 6 or so over 20 miles. Also I was coming right off Phoenix marathon so I had a little bit of previous run base ahead of the IM plan.

Now - way less running. I ran virtually no miles in December to mid- January. But February was okay and I actually got on the board with a 22 miler. Calf tweak re-appeared and I took another 10days off before starting up again. There's no way around showing up for this Ironman with much less run fitness, but I'm really hopeful to run the run....I should have a better idea over the next 3 weeks as I try a 2hr run and a 3hr run.

Misc.
Last year I seemed to cruise through the whole training block with no issues, and did not really have any major hassles that I can remember..

This lead up to Ironman has been all about managing injury, and sickness. I finally seem to have completely kicked out the flu like bronchial thing that hung around for at least two almost three weeks. I am hoping the ebb and flow of both of these turn to be on the top of the upswing come that first week in May. It certainly feels like I have a good chance to get better and better toward race day...

Now if I can just eat right.....just for one month.....PLEASE!

the picture above is a hill I went up and down 7 times in my long ride...its about 3/4 of a mile long.



9 comments:

PWickman said...

I can't believe you don't keep a training log... what kind of triathlete are you??

You're going to kill St. George. I'd say anything less than a sub 9hr race should leave you hungry for more.

The Triathlon Rx said...

Yeah... that whole "sunny and 80°" weekend was a LIE. But you killed it anyways!! I am so pumped for you going into this next race. Unfortunately unless you can put the kids on a rabbit diet (which I feel may cause some objections), the food temptations will always be there. It's just a matter of managing them and keeping them to a minimum. NOT easy!!

Keep at it D!

Matthew Smith said...

You're the man for sucking it up and continuing with the small chain ring and THEN doing your run too! Way to go! You're a stud!

You're going to do great at this IM in 4 weeks. You might not have all the training you wanted, but you're going to be great! Keep up the good work!

Jon said...

ANIMAL!!!

Way to stick it out with that ride.

You going for Kona slot? DO IT!!!

Jill said...

Oh. My. God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I run about that much in a week. You always always always impress me. One day I hope to be half the IM you are. Be strong this last month, D - No more bad foods. It's only a month, you can do it!!!

Ironman By Thirty said...

Glad to hear the calf is holding up.

Easter is one of the worst times of the year for crappy eating. Somehow a 42oz bag of M&Ms showed up at our house.

Nice work on the long rides! Those are some killer workouts.

Kona???

Jason said...

Multiple rides of 124+ miles? You do know the race is ONLY 112 right....haha!

Way to keep pushing on the bike and fighting that urge to quit. You won't get that urge in the race and even if you do you can't so pushing on was perfect for that.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting this far! You are so close to being done! I have 220 more days until my Ironman so I can't wait to be where you are with the hard work behind me :) good luck!

Matty O said...

Dude, I need your hill... like big time LOL!

Yeah, I think first IM is all about fear and wanting to just crush it.

After you complete the distance you realize you don't "really" have to train THAT much ;)

Hang in there, the race is close... 3 weeks baby!