Another weekend full of check marks. I had to slug my way through most of the week's bike sessions on the trainer and on the spin bike. I think it was so difficult on the bike all week as I did the long run last weekend, my first in quite awhile. I'm hoping to start feeling the bike base and that these trainer sessions get at least a little bit easier. They own me still.
It was another totally awesome weekend in the most ridiculous mild winter ever in MN. It reminds me of the days I lived in Denver and Fort Collins....minus the handful of 50 F + days that CO gets.
I had to take advantage and Sunday I went to the track. I have two tracks I used last summer, and the first one I went to was covered with snow on the south end due to tree coverage and shade.
So I went to our HS track just blocks from home and it was totally clear.

It felt great to be at the track again!

However, after a 20 minute warm-up and three intervals I was hurting! and had to mush through the rest Of the workout. I came out okay with a 1:07 total run for 8 miles and 8:04 avg.
In the middle I did 8x800:
1 thru 5 - all at 3:00 to 3:01
6 - 2:59
7 - 3:02
8 - 2:53
hard hard hard
From memory last year it got better after my third or fourth visit to the track. With more winter ahead for another month or so I will have to revert back to the treadmill for any tempo / speed interval sessions. I hope to get into a regular routine of doing the track 1x per week this year. If nothing else to at least do 400's and possibly keep the 800's. Would it be possible to do a sick, monster track workout? Maybe August.....

Blue sky! this is blog-worthy from MN where it is usually overcast gray for weeks and weeks on end. Don't let the green football field fool you....our HS has a synthetic sport turf field.

Still signs of snow in a few spots. At this point we have a not terrible 10 day forecast here. Then we will be into March. Almost anyone that lives here will tell you....if you can just make it to March then you are home free and out of the woods. Or at least can see the end of the forest.
13 comments:
This winter has been amazing for training! We have only had a handful of days where there was significant snow on the ground.
Nice work on those 800's. By Yasso standards it looks like you are ready for a 3 hour marathon.
I'm nearly convinced this winter was an answered prayer for a first year wanna be like me. I've managed to be relatively consistent with getting some kind of exercise and outdoors more often than not. I may have given up without the prodding of mother nature. Way to knock out (even with some slogging) some track time.
hahaha, dude we say the same thing, let's just get to March, it will be alright if we can just make it to MARCH!
Man, you are on fire. Run w/ this man, harness it, eat it up, and crush these next few weeks!!!
It has been an amazing winter... we've run on the track a few times and that usually never happens until spring! :) Great job getting it done... you might think that your speed will come, but those were some pretty fast 800s! :)
The weather here in MN has been great. Nice to see so many people taking advantage of it. I saw you at Gear West on Saturday, but I was in line already so I didn't get a chance to introduce myself. It's crazy to see so many talented triathletes in one place (other than a race of course).
If I recall correctly from living in NY I would say the same thing and then on April 1st you would be asking if it was a joke that it was snowing.
Keep plugging along.....it all comes back in the end!
What a good looking track you've got access to. That's sweet! Nice job with your track workout. You're a stud. Keep up the good work, and enjoy the nice weather!
I recognize that track!!
Alllleluiah to an amazing winter. "AMAZING" by which I mean no snow. :) You keep putting in the time on that bike and it WILL eventually recognize your efforts! Keep at it D!
Killer track workout! Great numbers :)
nice work man
love-those-photos.
Good work!
Our track here is covered in the white stuff and our usually bright blue skies have been gray for weeks. Did you switch climates with us? If so, give it back!!
Nice job on the track - wow, speedy!!
Our track here is covered in the white stuff and our usually bright blue skies have been gray for weeks. Did you switch climates with us? If so, give it back!!
Nice job on the track - wow, speedy!!
Post a Comment