I mention this not because the conditions were bad for driving....as this happens often in MN. But it gave me the chance to say "The Crosstown" ....When I lived in Southern CA, I always thought it was sooo cool how everyone referred to freeways and highways as THE.
The 405
The 10
The 5
The 101
The 55
everything is THE
this is especially cool when giving directions:
"Take The 405 to The 10 to The 5"
Compare to how we would give directions in MN
"Take Highway 100 to Highway 7 to 494"
Which one sounds more cool? What does your area go with? The only other major city I have lived in for an extended period of time was Denver and that was nearly as lame as MN....but at the time there was really only two main freeway highways and they are referred to with "I" so the big two would go "take I25 to I70 and head west to the mountains" Denver has changed since I lived there but I think they still lack main highways for how many people live there.
I only have to hop onto The Crosstown for just a few miles to work....so it's really not that bad. The Crosstown is actually Highway 62....and those that are from MN that really want to sound like a true MN will refer to it as such.
Training Progress and Lack-Thereof:
Eating -
TERRIBLE terrible month in Feb. I made no strides on weight improvement....I could be found eating the wrong things very often, and also my portions were not correct. That sound a lot better than I stuffed my face a lot....which I did. Saving grace= no weight GAIN from beginning of month and held where I was at.
Running -
SCREECHING HALT to my running. I had been running with mild to moderate discomfort in my left calf since the beginning of the year. Actually I pulled the trigger on the IM knowing it was tender but thinking it would get better and better throughout the spring. Moderate discomfort turned to shooting pains on an easy 45min Z2 run about a week ago. I tried it yesterday and after 30minutes same thing. So break out the ice and I think I might start foam roller? I had been hesitant to use the roller because I thought it would do more damage but I'm going to put it in play now.
Remarkably I'm not that worried or freaked out about this. Had this been last year I would have been fretting hard. But right now I'm positive I can rest it, build back up again, and have enough time to complete the run at IMSG even if it's not a stellar pace. Good thing for me the Fitzgerald plan calls for less running! Wasn't that just a couple weeks ago I was whining about not enough running?.....never satisfied!
Swimming:
ON FIRE - I think I have swam (swum?) 13 of the last 14 days or so. Another swim bender. Yesterday I got 4400 meters and it felt really great.
Biking:
Big Gains - I have been logging all of my bike time, getting check marks on the trainer and on the spin bike. This is likely the reason my weight has not ballooned. Its great as its the best way for me to sweat right now. But still....there are times when I loathe a bike session and times I love it. Lately I have been grateful to have it possible with the break in running.
I changed the display on my phone last night as a reminder for what I am facing in a couple of months...and hopefully this will help curb my eating in March and get me back on plan....
9 comments:
the foam roller will kill you but it works awesome. if you haven't already got one, look at the orange Trigger Point roller. they are built better and last longer (also more expensive but worth it)
yes on the foam roller... and get a lacrosse ball... and check out this site - http://www.mobilitywod.com/
gotta stay supple and mobile... a lesson I'm still learning
Good luck man... you are killing it as a fish and cycling!
Dude, go see an ART doc for the calf. They can assess it and if they can work it loose they are the person to do it!!!
Keep up the swimming and biking though.
Don't worry man, I have been eating the right things, just NOT the right portions haha! No weight gain here either and still gluten free :) WOOHOO!
Keep up the good momentum, and please, stop sending us your snow and ice crap!!!
Nice background for your phone! That's some solid motivation.
I think it's bad training in the winter in Southern Michigan, but it looks TERRIBLE where you're at! That sucks!
Good job maintaining your weight even if you haven't been doing what you should. That's how I am most of the time. Hopefully you'll get this calf thing fixed so you're not in major pain.
Keep up the good work!
I love your comments on The Crosstown 494 and I25. I always think it's funny when I say I25 now because we never said I94 even though it is I94. Sorry the weather sucks. 60s all of next week here. Bring your bike :)
I prefer the "the" prefix. Good to hear from you...
great idea on changing the screen. Going to have to do that for IMTX myself.
I was born in THE Bronx. Yup, that is the only THE I know of......
Loving the new screen display on the phone, will definitely remind you constantly about the upcoming adventure, right? :)
Denver lame? Well, we do have E-470 and C-470 (East and Central) and of course I-76. And let's not forget about our train!!!! Yeah, we're cool here in Denver.
Have someone (qualified) do some dry needling in the calf, get those knots out and you should feel tons better.
Nice swimming...I am very impressed!
Hi stranger! It is good to see you are still at it! I hope you are doing well! Hugs!
Post a Comment