Saturday, February 11, 2012

it's gotta be the shoes

In 1985 when I was in the 9th grade, I bought a pair of Air Jordan shoes like the picture below...



From memory these cost me between $50 and $60. That is now a good price on a pair of kicks. I used money from caddying. We didn't get allowance or money for chores or grades, and the only job I had was during golf season...caddying was excellent money, $20 per bag, 2 bags each round (loop) ...two loops a day Fri. through Sun....one loop Tue through Fri. We played golf at the course on Monday's.





Soon after I bought the original Red/White/Black Air Jordan's, I bought a pair of Black/Blue colorset...




After college in 93' I was cleaning out a bunch of my clutter from my parents house, and both of these old pairs of shoes were there...they were really beat up, a little small, and I tossed them in the garbage. About a month later there was an advertisement in the local newspaper the Star Trib requesting old used pairs of Air Jordan's for $100. Today used originals go for $300 to $500 on eBay or other sites. Nike released "replica retro" shoes for the first time in 94' and has done so several times since. Of course none of the reproduced items go for as much as the originals from 85'.





Maybe this is the reason behind my recent stockpiling of running shoes?





It's kind of interesting for me to now look back over the past 5 years and see my shoe usage...




Asics Kayano - I used only this shoe from 2007 to end of 2010. In hindsight this was a great shoe for me. I weighed 240lbs when I started running again back in 07', and I think the fact that its "a lot of shoe" with support and chunks of plastic or gel or whatever....was a good thing for me. I would just go into one of the run stores, ask for my size and walk out with a new pair of Kayano's every so often.


As I ran down in weight and was doing longer mileage at 200 to 210lbs I think this was still the correct shoe for me at the time.



Of note - ran current marathon PR time in these back in 2009 (3:31) and also my current 10k PR time wearing these clunkers in the Buffalo Oly Tri last summer (40.33)...I was trying out some new fancy Tri laces and just used an old pair of Kayano's for the run in that triathlon.





The Saucony Mirage was the first Non-Kayano shoe I used....I started running with it in the winter (treadmill) in prep for the Jan 2011 - AZ marathon. This shoe has the 4mm drop, and is really lightweight. I think this shoe helped improve my running style? (strike & gait) - Race pictures from last year I seemed to have an improved mid-foot landing.




Asics Gel Enduro 6 - This is technically a trail shoe I think. I bought this pair for $50 at Sports Authority for winter running two seasons ago. This winter has been really mild...but generally running here in MN the salt and snow eats into shoes. This pair withstood two harsh winters, including last winter's total beat down. I used them in the Nisswa Marathon last April (urban road marathon), and continued to use them this fall. They are trashed and there is nothing left in them, not sure why I was still using them....in October I was running the lakes on the path and felt my calf tweak...I now attribute the calf injury to using these worn out Asics.




I bought this pair of Asics DS Trainers specifically for the Ironman Lake Placid marathon. This was a terrible shoe for me. The inside has a separate shell like system that feels weird. And for some reason I got terrible blisters from them. I thought they would be a good lightweight version of the Kayano...wrong! In the weeks leading up to Ironman I really had no other shoe to go to...so I had to use them. They got me through the run at IMLP, so I guess that counts for something.





I had another pair of Saucony Mirage shoes in basically new condition...that I used for TC Marathon last fall. I know for certain now, in a 26.2 run I need more shoe for that final 10k. This is a great shoe for me at the track to do intervals.





Recently I bought this pair of Brooks PureGrit. This is a trail shoe. What a GREAT feeling shoe!!! Seriously awesome. I have used this shoe now on the trails of Hyland Park Reserve, and also a few of the days we have had snowpack. I'm worried about salt and snow wrecking these before next summer, so I plan to use them only on the trails from now on....also I am now super tempted to buy some PureFlow's





The PureGrit feels awesome, and has an excellent tread





Quite possibly the best racing show for me. A little more than the Kinvara and the Mirage, but less shoe than any of the Asics I have used... these Saucony Cortana's have been a dream for me. I trained in them a few times last fall before running my coveted Half Marathon PR on Halloween that got me into NYC. I love these. I have very wide (FAT) feet and the toe box is generous, huge plus. It really feels perfect when I run in these.





After feeling how great the PureGrit's were, I got these Brooks Ghost. I'm pretty much as excited about this trainer shoe as I am the Cortana's. This is truly a superb feeling shoe, and probably the perfect trainer shoe for me. It's lightweight, yet has the support I need. It has way more feel than the Asics. Loving it.




Couldnt help myself.....freshie Cortana's just arrived this week for the year ahead!







Sorry Asics...you did great for me when I was a fat-man, but it seems Saucony and Brooks are making some really great shoes that are a pretty awesome fit for me right now....










5 comments:

Unknown said...

If you like the Brooks Ghosts (which are awesome trainers) then you have to try the Brooks Launch. Not as stiff as the Ghosts (ie: extremely flexible) and have enough guts to run 26.2.

Jill said...

I think aside from the Asics Trail and DS, you and I have had the same shoes! Except my daily go-to shoe is the Kinvara. I just got a pair of the Brook PureFlow and I think you'd LOVE them!! I seriously think the Cortana's going to be discontinued in the near future...I'm going to have to stalk up for about 3 year's worth because I love the shoe for my long runs and marathons!

I can no longer wear the Ghosts (or Launch) because the heel drop is too high for my PF and I tend to heel strike more in them...but I did love them at the time.

Don't you just want to kick yourself when you think about the money you could have made off those old Jordans?? Hahah

Ironman By Thirty said...

9th grade in 1985? In 1985 I was only... oh nevermind! haha

I always wanted the Air Jordans in grade school when I played basketball but they were always too expensive. Maybe that is why I was never good at basketball (or maybe it was the lack of hand-eye coordination and overall skill).

I have a crap ton of shoes. They usually get demoted to yard work for a while before heading to the trash. Right now I rotate between the Kinvara and the Hoka One One Bondi B's (check them out, they will change your life - just ask Jeff). My feet and legs couldn't be happier.

Matthew Smith said...

Thanks for the trip through your shoe closet! :) It is actually pretty cool that you still have all your old pairs. I usually make the last pair a "working-around-the-house" pair. Obviously you've journeyed through several brands and styles to find what works for you. That's so important!

Bryonman said...

I too had those first Air Jordan high tops. Mine were gray and white. I think I was in 7th grade.

I used to run exclusively in Nike Vomeros when I was heavier. Last year I switched to Brooks GTS & Ravenna 2s. About a month ago I switched to Newtons and so far so good.