Wednesday, October 12, 2011

So youre saying theres a chance...

There is hope!

I think I am still on track and close enough to have a shot at a PR in this half marathon run coming up.

Several times in the past ten weeks I could have used a food intervention. For real. It seems after almost five years my main holdover weaknesses are taco bell and dairy queen. In the last 10 weeks (75 days ish) I would estimate I have been to DQ fifty times. For real. There was a stretch when I had it every night for 3 weeks straight. It's about 4 minutes away and I usually make a last minute poor decision as late as 9:49pm, to get there in time before the 10p cutoff. Every order the same: Large butterfinger blizzard....have no idea how many calories that is but it cant be good!

Last weekend this box of oreos fell victim to my late night eating....destroyed by me, alone, last Friday night. Whoops.

I kicked the taco bell extravaganza about three weeks into the addiction....the final straw came driving home from a downtown mpls meeting and I stopped at two different TB's on my way back to the SW Suburbs...since I apparently didnt get enough items on the first stop!

Luckily I am not 25lbs more than what I did Ironman at in July....not sure how I am not but Ill take it. Im only up 10lbs. This is a far cry from my first big race after I started my comeback Grandmas marathon in 2008 - I gained back 25lbs in three months....so I am feeling pretty good about where I am at.

I think I can lose the 10lbs by race day 10/29.

Starting over the weekend I am on day four now of dairy free / meat free. Lots of fruit veggies and quiona. I saw the film "Forks over Knives" and it has kick started my diet again. I don't think Ill stick with gluten free like I did during IM training.....but I might have to revert back to it. I know me, and I can wedge open the slightest gap into a monstrous hole. So if I allow myself pastas and breads.....it could turn into a landslide.

My workouts and training since the marathon has been really decent. I even got outside on the bike for the first time since IM (sad but true) ...a 2:45 ride last Sunday.

I have notched several swims and also about 6 run efforts...including some hill repeats and tempo intervals.

Starting to get somewhat concerned about Nov - Dec - Jan ...with no real races planned...I could sign up for the Winter Carnival Frozen Half Marathon....will that be enough to keep me honest over the winter months?????








14 comments:

Jon said...

Duuuuuuude, reading about you gorging on DQ and Oreos just got me HUNGRY!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I am with Jon, I am hungry now

Taco Bell is no longer as cheap as it was when we were teenagers

DQ has always been expensive

Matthew Smith said...

I feel your struggle! It's tough to not pig out on the bad stuff when you've completed something so big! Good for you for getting back on the bus to keep the weight off. That blizzard sounded pretty good though!

The Triathlon Rx said...

990 in a large. Haha you may or may not have actually wanted to know that....

I'M Tri-ing said...

The next 10-12 weeks are always my hardest too, but I've seemed to limit the damage less and less each year.
I've done the Tri U Mah indoor tri a few times (February) and LifeTime has indoor tri's all winter, just in case you need something between January and the "thaw".

Jill said...

DQ every night for 3 weeks solid? Hahah, you make laugh...even though I know it's not funny and I could do the same thing!!

I admire you if you can lose 10 lbs in two weeks...I think that'd kill me from exhaustion. But you are strong and I know you can do it and feel great.

Maybe you need a winter destination race...somewhere warm! :)

Happy to see you blogging again, even if it's making me drool over the DQ and Oreos!! Post of pic of the girls soon!!

it's all about pace said...

our toughest adversary to overcome... ourselves. BTW you could always come to FLA and do a 50 miler with me in February

Matty O said...

hey man... if I can do it... you can do it. I weighed 204lbs for my 13.1 PR, so don't sweat it.

All I can say is make sure you put your speed work in. Makes a HUGE difference on race day with your leg fatigue and lactic acid, I felt invincible with a structured speed work schedule.

Head's in the right place. Just consider those Oreo's your fuel for your fire buddy!

Unknown said...

Did ya really have to put the pic up of the Oreo's??? They are my favorite and it has probably been 2 years since I've had one ... aghhhhhh

Jason said...

Seriously D....a pic of the Oreos bag is NOT cool. I have gone longer than Jeff and now I am just picturing the lick of that garbage icing from the cookie.....AHHH where's an apple when you need one!

Ironman By Thirty said...

Our DQ closes for the season this weekend. And thankfully ours is a 15-20 minute drive so the temptation is a minimum.

That empty oreos package looks familiar though.

Simon said...

Blimey, sounds like you've gone at it even harder than me since IMLP. I've now got control of the demon ice-cream binging but boy oh boy the weight is coming off soooo slowly.

Glad to hear you're in control again. Keep at it buddy.

Unknown said...

mmmm... double stuff oreos are the best!!! :)

Bryan said...

Dairy Queen 50 times...wow. I think if you go three more times they give you a franchise. haha.

10 lbs, not bad. Now you got me thinking of DQ. I went last night now that I think about it.

Good luck on the race. 10 lbs is nothing.

B