Monday, June 20, 2011

Grandma's 13.1 RR

Last weekend I completed Grandma's Half Marathon, finishing three weekends in a row of racing. I was able to show some restraint and not go all out...and will be able to now go after some good workouts this week.

It was somewhat of a bizarre feeling, starting at the halfway point...after running the full marathon for the last three years. We bus to the midway point of the marathon and run the second half, starting at 630am.

The start was miserable...cold and rain. It rained the entire hour we had to wait for the start, with basically no cover unless porta potties count.

I decided to try something new for this race....start at the very end. Of the 5991 finishers for the Half Marathon I would say maybe 5 or 6 started behind me. It was really odd, letting everyone go then starting the race.

Amazing amazing experience from the back of the pack. First of all there seems to be a little subculture of people who like to start at the end. The last ten of us were all kind of looking at each other and it seemed to be a kind of dare / standoff as to who could outlast and wait longer to be the last off. I am now a little bummed I didn't hold off to be the very last runner. Chalk it up to inexperience.

It was really inspiring to be able to see everyone ahead, running a half marathon in the rain. There were so many people! It stopped raining in the early miles and I was able to enjoy the first few miles at whatever pace I wanted....with no Garmin I just focused on running easy with good form.

I was able to take in some of the personalities, the messages on the backs of shirts "in memoriam", and many other funny outfits, quotes or comments people had going on their raceday attire.

One thing that kind of shocked me was the porta potties....the line for a porta pottie at several of the early miles was easily ten people deep. People willing to handle the long wait for a porta pottie in the middle of a race. Gotta go you gotta go.

Ran into Julie at mile 8 or so. Hung out with her for the remaining miles to the finish, which was super cool. Even at mile 12 there was still tons of people all together running....again totally inspiring seeing this and being able to soak it all in.

It was interesting to see the entire back half of this course in a different view. It has totally owned me the last three years on the marathon with a meltdown each of those efforts. I was able to notice and recognize many nuances including Lemon Drop hill doesn't end at the bridge....it continues all the way up past the hotels.

Despite the crap weather this was easily one of the most enjoyable runs I have done in a long time.

Can't wait to have another crack at the full after this run!

time : 1:54:53
AG 146 / 292
Overall 2383 / 5991

21 comments:

Matty O said...

Amazing how something that simple can change your experience isn't it?

I can't go for garmin-less. I need the garmin to keep me honest and slow down. I would start playing pac man and eat people one by one haha.

Gotta love the "enjoyment" of races.

The stand off comment at the beginning, hilarious haha.

Unknown said...

haha! annie and I started at 5min after the gun went off once for a HM too. We were the last two people to cross the start line - we didn't do it on purpose, we were in the portos on the other side of the parking lot when the race started!

Definitely a different way to race!!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

BOP, some call it Back Of the Pack, I call it the Best Of the Partiers, and aftering running back there, I bet you can see how that is true

Matthew Smith said...

What a great idea to start at the back for a change. Good thinking. I'm glad the rain stopped for you and you had a good race. Nice work. Keep it up!

it's all about pace said...

lotsa cool people at the BOP... glad you got a glimpse and enjoyed it. Now get back up front where you belong.... =;-)

Heather said...

Sounds like a fun race experience - nice job!

Patrick Mahoney said...

Sounds like a cool, mellow day...

JohnP said...

Hah what a great experience! sounds like fun training run :)

On the other hand if you wait and do this at Lake Placid, you will likely find me back there in the rear of the pack haha!

Jill said...

Ok, will you come out to Colorado (you know you want to!! :)) and hang out with me in a half this fall? I think I just might be able to finish if so!! :)

Julie sent me a text and said the weather was miserable and then you ran with her a the end - huge smile on my face after that! Glad you enjoyed the race!!

Ironman By Thirty said...

Nice work! Three weeks of racing in a row - impressive. How is the body holding up?

Super cool that you were able to show restraint and not go all out. I have yet to learn that skill.

Simon said...

Excellent write up. I have two speeds for a running race 1) all out from the front or 2) at the back with the subculture. I love both approaches but the second one hurts less! haha

Caratunk Girl said...

I love the BOP - thems my people!

Also, we eat more cupcakes.

You are a racing machine!! Way to hold back.

31.

Crap.

31.

Unknown said...

I love that you ran at the back of the pack. You are right... totally different race back there! :) I've done that with my mom before and the stories and energy is amazing! Congrats on a great race!

Julie said...

Hi Derek,
Thanks for the pictures...just got them today. Sometime I will have to start at the back and experience the race like you did. Thank you so much again for running with me and keeping me in check! You are a good guy to have around:) I will always remember my 2nd Grandma's half and getting to run with Derek!

bobbi said...

I heart the BOP, but then again, I don't have much of a choice :)

I hopped over here from Julie's blog. I like to follow the MN peeps (my home state). Great race!

The Triathlon Rx said...

Mmmm yep. My boyfriend went home (Duluth) for G-ma's weekend. Said it was like FORTY degrees and raining. BRRR.

That aside, I'm glad YOU enjoyed it (because that's what matters!) and way to keep pushin' it in your training!

Chris K said...

Interesting. Very different experience than the last 1/2 your ran during your 70.3, eh? The funny thing is I can't tell which one you enjoyed more. You are weird DRog. I mean that as a compliment. It's cool that you can derive enjoyment from the current situation. I am too competitive to do something like that. Or maybe I'm too shallow and vain.

Richelle said...

Congrats! Sounds like a fun experience, despite the rain. I completed a race this year at the back of the pack and loved it.

wendy said...

Really nice to read about your run on Julie's blog : )

Caratunk Girl said...

26

I just had to put that there to freak you out. You know, so I am not alone.

:)

Bryan said...

Cool starting on the back. I did that one time last year when I showed up 30 minutes late and ran by myself for about 5 miles, then saw the back of packers. Know what you mean about subculture.

B