Sunday, June 12, 2011

0 for 2 - Liberty 70.3 RR



Evidence in the backyard above, of a guy training for an IM! I've got a recovery day today and should get a chance to get on top of some yardwork and general house chores that are in dire need.



I signed up for two Triathlons to mix into my IM training schedule as planned training events. I thought both would be a great way to practice some discipline, and execute some conservative behavior on the bike. I'm Oh fer Two.



This was a really hard race to get mentally prepared for. During the week prior, work was intense, and I was also completing my IM training workouts, along with the regular parenting. Friday night before the Saturday race Em had a swim meet that went until 9p...and by the time we were home for dinner and bed I was able to pack for the Tri at midnight!



During the week one of my bike sessions called for some intervals tempo style, and I thought to myself if I am going hard in training why not race the Triathlon on Saturday? Driving to the race I got mentally prepared to swim and bike hard and see what I had on the run.


The result was the most amazing run experience I have ever had in training or racing. Ever.



I came away with a really strong race


TIME - 4:46:21
Swim - 31:24

t1 - 2:12

Bike - 2:36:48

t2 - 2:28

Run - 1:33:30



AG -3/50?

Overall - 16/227


the Swim - 1.2mi / 31:24


I had a strong swim, but again was hoping for a little more contact in prep for LP. Our swim wave was 60 people and mostly my AG. The out and back swim felt great...I started somewhat slow and worked into a great rhythm and was happy with my pace the whole way through.



the Bike - 56mi. / 2:36:48 / 21.4mph


I had some minor mechanical issues happening at the start and during the bike which didn't really factor into my performance. First after leaving t1 with my shoes clipped in, I mounted and prepared to get going. Total whiff. I knocked off my right shoe before my foot was in and had to stop and pickup the shoe to get set...causing the guy behind me to stop...sorry guy! He was not happy.



Then as I was adjusting my helmet in the first mile I somehow unsnapped the inside caging and it became really loose...I rode with it like that for the entire ride...wasn't terrible just annoying.



At around mile 15 my front water bottle cage broke and I lost my water bottle and the cage was kind of dangling the whole time.



Also my bike was making some new weird whistling or squeaking noise, that was more embarrassing than anything else. I seemed to get several odd looks!



I hammered on the bike the best I could and was happy with the ride.



the Run - 13.1mi / 1:33:30 / 7:08 per mi


I ran the first mile at like 8:10 and was was going along chatting with a guy who has done IMWI 3X. I thought this is great! I will be able to hang on with this really fit looking runner at this pace and have a good run.



We got passed by a female runner who cruised by us with ease and was clearly a top notch athlete and obvious seasoned runner.



Then my guy I was running with had to take a leak, and I was alone again. I decided to chase down the girl ahead and see if I could hang on for awhile. I closed the 400 meter or so gap and was right behind her from mile 2 through 6.5.



Liberty Triathlon is in Baker Park, just west of the Twin Cities and is a great venue for a 70.3. The run course is on a paved path through the park and around the lake. It is an out an back. It looked like the only other female ahead of my pacer was about a mile ahead... based off what I was able to catch from the turnaround runners.



After following her footsteps and clipping off sub 7 min miles to the halfway point we turned around and ran the next 3 miles side by side ...stride for stride...not a word was said. It was so cool. As we passed others heading toward the turnaround several male and female competitors would say things or shout encouragement (to her)....the other gals would mostly shout that she looked strong and go get it. One guy told her she was 2:30 down to the leader as we were at mile 9.



The it seemed like she started to struggle just a little bit. I took some inventory of myself. I felt great! I decided to push the pace just a shade. She dropped on my heels and was now hanging on just as I had done the entire first "out" section.



In the process we were clipping off people in my age group. We passed 4 people from miles 8 through 11 in my AG.



Just after the 12 mile marker we approached another female runner...but not the svelte runner I had spotted earlier. I looked back and for the first time we talked - I said is that the leader? She said didn't think so, and that she was in the 4th swim wave anyway...so she was a regular age grouper, not with the elite wave. As we passed that girl, she told her she told her not to worry she was in the relay.


We pressed hard to the end and had a little sprint together for the final 200.



It was awesome. Not a word was said the entire time except my one question at the end...I only asked b/c I thought she might want to time her pass.



Ends up she won the female overall division by like 10 minutes. At the finish line she came up and said "great run, seemed like we both helped each other out" - loved it...she totally helped me get 3rd in my AG...was a great great feeling.



Kind of a long story and probably doesn't come off as well on paper as the experience actually was.....but I was way out of my league and hung on, and was really happy to post that time.



ALSO -- Tried to pee on the bike ..... FAIL









26 comments:

Ironman By Thirty said...

Holy speed demon!

You crushed it!

Now just double that for a 9:32 at LP :)

But you might want to get your bike checked out before it completely falls apart on you - haha.

I'M Tri-ing said...

Ha! A pee fail. To funny. Great race!

Heather said...

Awesome race, you are amazing!

Aimee said...

You seriously ROCKED that race!! Woohoo!!!
Ugh..I can't pee on the bike either! Ha ha!

The Triathlon Rx said...

Your tone of voice [/text] makes it sound like you're somewhat surprised at your beastlyness... to which all I can say is YOU HAD IT COMING with all your training!! Congrats D!!

Baker is great! I love going out there for a weekend of "camping" and training!

Chris K said...

Holy crap, this is my favorite RR of the frigging year. Are you kidding me? D, you crushed it. Congrats on a great race.

PWickman said...

hell of a run going into IMLP! You're absolutely ripping those courses to shit! You're a machine. I can't wait to see what you do in Lake Placid. This stuff is exciting to follow.

valen said...

you are becoming a speed demon!. Talk about the fast boys doing Oly distance?!!
CONGRATS in capitals. you rocked!

pee fail= LOL

Bryan said...

Holy Crap man, that was a crap-tastic race. I can't get over your speed. You missed your calling, you should have got into tri's as a kid and won yourself an Olympic medal. All semi-kidding aside, that is one awesome race time, your swim rocked too. I can't believe you got out of the run gate slow and then still got a 1:33. Sometimes guys are good at short and not long, some guys are good at long not short (me), you look like your doing the uncommon, your good at both.

I'm still amazed and at a loss for words, which isn't easy. I'm so damn happy for you, it seems you've really hit your stride. I've NEVER seen anyone do so well out of the gate. Can hardly wait for IMLP. Just one thing, please take a camera and when your waiting at the finish line for me and Simon, take our pictures, those package pictures are getting so expensive. haha.

B

Jon said...

You trying for a Kona slot @ LP? I am giving you the MOST IMPROVED award! Wow, you have come a LONG ways this season and you are knocking out some serious times now.

Amazing! And keep it up. Placid is gonna be nothing for ya!

Matthew Smith said...

You're the man! Way to go! That was so fast! I love how you didn't let the little issues (shoe falling off, helmet, bottle cage) mess up your race. Way to kill that run! Actually, you pretty much dominated all three events. Way to go, man! I hope you find a little time here or there for yourself other than training, family, work, or chores. I didn't think your yard looked that bad. Have a great week!

Jason said...

Great recap and dude you just crushed this entire race. You are ready for IMLP no doubt.

Way to push yourself and you MUST learn to pee on the bike and also learn to pee while running. It saves so much time and those leg spasms that come from stopping and starting.

Matty O said...

Holy SHIT!... HOLY SHIT!

dude, everything clicked buddy. Last year something always got you, diet, the run, something. It clicked buddy.

SOOOO AWESOME! WAY TO GO! :)

I love the run story too. Totally the same person as you on the run. Great job and bonus points for working with that girl to get it done buddy.

Pat yourself on the back and have an ice cream cone for a reward will ya?

Allison said...

Awesome job!!!!! You rocked it!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

HOLY COW your fast

Congrats on the poduim finish

Emily said...

wow! CONGRATS on a FAST race! glad to know I'm still better than you at one thing (peeing on bike, obviously!)

Pete32 said...

Amazing speed! Congrats D- on the race, you are truly a gifted athlete. A lot of hard working age groupers could only dream of having the speed and endurance that you have (me included). Keep up the hard work, it is definitely paying off. Can't wait for the IMLP race report. It's almost worth a trip over there to watch and cheer you on.

My Boring Triathlon Blog said...

awesome race!

Caratunk Girl said...

Holy crap speedy. You are freaking fast. Seriously!! That is awesome, congrats!!! You are so going to rock placid. Podium finish too!! WOOHOO.

40

Scouting it out for you this weekend.

Peeing on the bike takes special skills. I am going to write a blog post about it.

it's all about pace said...

your yard might not be perfect but you are kicking some seious ass otherwise. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Holy smokes that's fast! :) Congrats on a great race.

Keep practicing on the peeing... it'll come! :)

Jamie said...

I just found your blog, and it's awesome! I am an aspiring tri-athlete (previously big guy) so your journey to what you have become now is inspirational. All I have got to say is wow! Way to go!

Jill said...

Woohoo, buddy - you nailed that run!! Congrats on a spectacular performance and I bet that was a really cool experience with the fast winner chick!! Nice job!

I was wondering where all my bike problems went...know I know! :)

Emz said...

Derek. Freaking. Awesome.

Way to go!!!

Amazing.
Amazing.
Amazing.

What a strong race!!

Anonymous said...

wow, you rocked it!! Fantastic race report; you're inspiring. Keep up the awesome work!

Julie said...

Hi Derek,

Sorry it has taken me so long to read this. I have been MIA and that makes things difficult to keep up with:) First of all, awesome job on your TRI!!! You are such an amazing athlete! You finished with a fantastic time! Congrats to you:)

Next I would like to thank you so much for helping me out yesterday! You are the only reason I was able to finish under 2! Yay! I looked online and my chip time was 1:59:41:) Woo hoo! You are such a great guy and I appreciate your kindness and putting up with my slow pace for miles 8 through 13. Thanks for getting my ass up Lemon Drop Hill alive! LOL, I was trying so hard to stay with you! There were several times when I looked at my garmin and saw we were staying at a 8:15 to 8:30 pace...so not my normal HM pace. Wondering how things would of played out without my biffy stops and almost puking episode:) Anyway just wanted you to know that I think you are pretty special and appreciate all of your support. Thanks for runnersitting me:) I should have a race report maybe by tomorrow. Take care Derek!