Saturday, May 7, 2011

Surprise save

Struggled all week to find it - Was an emotional wreck. I was upset at either work interfering with training, work not going the way I wanted....training workouts not going smoothly. You name it I complained.

I pretty much had my a$$ handed to me all week long in one form or another. There was no Triumph's for this guy....until Saturday! A surprise save has me feeling better and wanting to type again.

As it stands I still missed 3 workout sessions this week, and I know for sure Sunday is out for all training.

on Tuesday I did a 1hr bike and 20 min brick run that just crushed me.

Followed that up on Thursday with a trip to the track....my first track workout, ever.
I really did not want to do it...and it proved to be really hard. I'm hoping if I stick with it they will get even just a LITTLE bit better. I'm going to continue to follow the plan and the once a week prescribed track workouts.

Happy to be out biking now, potholes are literally everywhere!



I had planned to do my long bike ride on Friday, as I knew the entire weekend was shot for any training. Then Thursday night the kids school called at 9p and ....no school Friday as the plumbing was out!! So all day parenting knocked out a ride on the best day of the year so far. I was seriously bent. After missing a 4hr ride two weeks ago this would be now 2 long rides on the ledger.



Incredibly my wife (who must have taken a good note of my negative ninja sulking) took the day off yesterday and I got to ride.


Now of the opinion that I better really make my chances count when I get them I decided to go deep today. Started out at 8am... and was able to get in my longest ride ever at 112 miles / 6:37



My previous best was a 62 mile ride. Psyyyyyyched to be on the board with a hundo ride.


didnt mean for it to be the IM distance ride....with a few miles to go I was guessing it would be 105 or so but I pulled into the driveway at 112 point 2 - pretty cool.

Some shots from the ride



Hit the Greenway out to the Mississippi.....


Graffiti along the Greenway....




This awesome little stretch below is just 1 mile, but it connects into a road I need to go further west...I love it, its blacktop and smoooooooth......


And finally, I found my way onto the Dakota Rail Trail out by Lake Minnetonka. It's great riding and I can see a lot of my rides going out that way now that I kind of know the route...






(Lake Mtka in the background.)



Also of note....I'm going to hate changing out my tires. I know I have to, but no flats since last year, and its the same tire I used on the trainer this winter....should I get the same tire? I looked online they are CHEAP at $17 per. I have my eye on either the Michelin PR3 or the Vittoria Rubino...



hoping the ride helps turn the tide!
































13 comments:

PWickman said...

D- you are a monster! When you go big, you go HUGE. That 6000yd swim a couple weeks ago, the marathon distance run before that, and now going 112 on the bike...

Good work.

Matthew Smith said...

Way to go, man! You are the man. 112 miles makes my rides look like midgets. It's nice to have a family that is willing to work around your training schedule or try to help you out. It sounds like you've got a good one. Keep up the good work!

Aimee said...

It sounds like you had a tough week. Hopefully next week will be better! BUT, Wow..that is awesome that you rode 112 miles! Woohoo!

Ironman By Thirty said...

What the heck do the kids need plumbing for at school. Can't they hold it?

62 to 112 miles! Rock star! And what an amazing wife to notice and act on your ninja sulking.

$17 a tire and no flats?!? That is awesome. I love the Michelon Krylions (not flats on the road - ever *knock on wood*). They are about $50 each though. I think I am riding the Rubino's on my P2 now (I think that is what came with them). So far, so good.

Jon said...

Dude!!! Nice job on the 112! Way to step it up. How do u feel now?

Jill said...

You rode your bike 112 miles in one stretch? Holy crap! How long did that take you? I feel like a rock star when I log that many for the week! Your wife must have known how much you needed that time, she's awesome to take off work for you!

Here's to a new week - make it work for you, D!!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

112 in 6:37 is impressive, nice work

Unknown said...

Wait a minute... you had previously only done 62 and you did 112? That's awesome! :)

Hope this week is going a bit better for you!

Matty O said...

ROCKSTAR! GREAT JOB MAN.

Screw the missed workouts, I think you made up for them haha.

Great job and keep up the good work. Keeping your head straight through all of this is going to be the hardest part.

I am having your week this week at work. Struggling and want to scream!

Johann said...

Wow, fantastic ride, well done! When I saw that pothole I almost thought you did the ride here in Johannesburg somewhere.:) Keep it going!

Chris K said...

I think you made a typo in the post cuz you said that rode 112 miles. What?! That is some crazy sh!t. Nice job D. I noticed that your 70.3 is in 31 days. Like Johann said, "Keep it Going"!

Christina said...

Nice work on the 112 ride! Sounds like your training is going well! A few days here and there are NO big deal. Life happens!
Only 70 days away! Wowza!
P.S. I just replaced tires with the Vittoria Rubino! :)

Bryan said...

Congrats on the long ride. Nice job.