Thursday, May 26, 2011

Blinders





















Somewhat of a nice rally on training...and I've got the blinders ON.




Unfinished laundry: doesn't matter

Dandelions in the yard: doesn't matter

Landscaping around the house: doesn't matter

Clean the garage: doesn't matter

clean the cars: doesn't matter

Dishes in the sink: who cares




I lied about the laundry I'm still on top of that....but pretty much nothing else seems to be wrecking my groove in general routine activities and training workouts.



Even serious bike mechanical issues today that knocked out a bike ride 3 Times! ...didn't ruin my mood.



Training and workout efforts have been spot on....eating has been in line, and I've been able to keep up around the house and at work. It's come together for sure.



Nothing major in the past week...a couple of 4k+ swims and quite a bit of running. Last Friday I did a 17 miler that was one of the hardest runs over 15 miles I have ever done, as it fell by chance on a fourth day in a row of running and my legs were pretty cashed starting out after work at 4p.



Tuesday this week I was out for a 2hr ride, and on the way back in I blew a flat back tire with about 6 miles to go. Finally! I've beeen on the same tubes and tires since I bought the bike last year, and also used them on the trainer over the winter.



I was able to get the tire off, change the tube and successfully use the co2 cartridge. I then magically got the back tire and chain back on, BUT one of the brake pads was totally jammed against the rim. Try as I might I couldn't get it to line up properly and ended up just taking the pad off for the remainder of the ride, to get home the final few miles.



Took it into the bike shop Wed. and was seemingly set to go again.



Today magically a huge window opened up and I had the chance with great weather to complete a 5hr ride I missed last weekend. Not so much.....after half mile the brake pad was at it again.



Back to the bike shop (30 minute drive) get it fixed again, back home, re gear, get mentally okay with the fact its now going to be a two hour ride....same thing...brake pad is totally jacked.



Back to the shop and they rebuilt the rear brake setup. Home finally around 6p and was heading out again when I realized I had no helmet on. Used this as an excuse it wasn't meant to be and went back inside to make dinner:-)



Sometimes less is more.



I actually got a nice little nap in before everyone got home! total score.



Lots of rain over the past week and in the forecast...it's making the bike outings hard to squeeze in.



Last week with all of the consecutive run days I worked in my first few ice baths.

11 comments:

Ironman By Thirty said...

Keep the rally going!

Crazy problem with your bike. I would have been hopping mad if it took multiple trips to the LBS to get it fixed.

Nice backyard ice bath. The look on your daughter's face is priceless.

Matthew Smith said...

The trash can full of ice water looks COLD! But, that's a great idea rather than in the tub. Way to be cranking out the miles. Sorry about the bike trouble. That's always a downer, but it sounds like you're in a serious grove that can't be beaten! Keep up the good work.

Jon said...

Congrats on changing the tire out in the field! I know you have been worried about this. Problem solved I see!

Dude! THat ice bath in the trash can idea is BRILLIANT!

Keep it going!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I am with Kevin, I been mad for having to go back to the LBS numurous times.

Nice training

Matty O said...

That is how we did ice baths in school. I can't get out of the trash can after I am in it without falling because my legs never work... caution haha!

Man, the rear brake issue what the heck? I would be losing trust in the LBS after the second trip out LOL!

Jill said...

Oh dear, that dang bike!!! I fear that's going to happen to me on one of my many falls and I'll have no clue what to do. Hopefully they worked out the issue the bike's happy now.

Love your new attitude, D! Sometimes those little things just don't really matter...except laundry, of course! :)

Happy Weekend!

Unknown said...

Way to find the groove and not let the minor distractions of life get in the way! Keep it up bro!

nat said...

it looks like all is on track.
like the new writing style, though (valen)

Aimee said...

Yay for finding your groove and getting back on track!!
What a bummer about your brake pad..that's just weird. Hopefully it's fixed for good now!

Annie said...

Believe,none of those things will matter while you are training, especially when you cross that finish line! Our house was a disaster the last few weeks of Jeff's training and I could have cared less when I saw him become and Ironman!

Caratunk Girl said...

Nice rally D!

55 days.

You are doing great. Keep up the great work, can't wait to see you there.

Lets hope that is your last tire change (the one you told me about) for a LONG while. ;) Actually, lets hope that is your last bike issue for a LONG while!