Monday, June 4, 2012

tribuff oly rr

Transition before race

I LOVE the local tri's - this one in small town Buffalo MN is awesome

Excellent lake for a triathlon
Borrowed this pic from the race website http://tribuff.com/ - can you tell if anyone in the M40-44 group has ever done an Ironman?!! 1st place dude on the left ...looks like he did Kona?! 2nd place guy in middle. I snuck onto podium 3rd
Sunday I did my first "repeat" triathlon - doing a triathlon course for the second time: The Buffalo Olympic Tri.  I'll get two more chances like this in July at the LTF Mpls Tri and also Chisago. They changed the bike course Sunday reverting back to I guess what was the original bike route, so my overall time cannot be totally comparable.

Entering the race I had hoped to 1) beat my time from last year ...and 2) repeat last years effort and win my age group

Overall my training has been pretty decent since Ironman a month ago (its been a month already?) but  my eating has been total crap.

I paid the price just a little bit on race day, feeling the beat down on the run and finishing 2 minutes slower than last year.

Swim - 1500 meters - 21:26 (1:19 / 100yd)
last year my time on this swim course was 21:44....so I had basically the same result. I was really hoping for like a 2 minute PR as it feels like my swimming has improved, but now I think that is a tall order for this length of a swim. There was a bunch of swim waves going off every 3minutes. I was in the 6th wave and for the final 500 meters it was really congested and I was doing considerable zig zagging and changing routes to go around people. The good news is I seem to have figured out how to absorb the initial red line heart rate of going out fast and feeling that early burn before settling into a swim rhythm.

t1 - 2:40
last year I went 2:11. This year my wetsuit got stuck on my ankle with the chip time thing. A quick look at the top 30 overall and I had by far the slowest transition, by about 40 seconds. I'll have to sort this out before LTF tri in July or I will have no shot. I guess I just need to move faster and not get my wetsuit stuck.

Bike - 40k - 1:03:38 (23.4 mph)
last year I went 1:04 on a much easier bike course. I gunned it pretty hard on the bike on Sunday, mashing it pretty much the whole way. This new route had several more slight uphills, and it was a just a little windy. I thought of St George as I was on the bike and just laughed....I doubt anytime from here on out that it gets tough on the bike in a race now there probably wont be a time I reflect on that Ironman Bike and say at least I am not at IMSG! This bike route was definitely harder than the one last year. I now think I am giving up maybe 2 or 3 minutes on the bike in Oly and 70.3 races by not having race wheels. For now I'll just stick it out with the regular tires and try to hold off as long as I can.

t2 - 1:21
again my transition time is waaaaay slower comparative to everyone else around me on the finishing sheet,

Run - 10k- 42:53 (6:55 / mi.)
exact same run course and this year I went 2:20 slower. I think this is due to a combination of poor eating over the last 4weeks, along with trying to crush the bike....and of course I can also add the excuse I am coming off Ironman. Can I still use that one?

Result - 2:11:57
AG 3/48
OA 21/386

I now have a solid 7 weeks to right the ship and get my eating back in line, train harder, and try to post a result in two tri's mid July.

About a week ago I was obsessing with the fact there are foundation slots open for Canada and also Madison. Pentiction is by far and away the very top of my bucket list for full iron triathlon race to do. Not even close. A one looper for the swim AND  the bike AND the run. I think the only other 1 loop course for each event is Kona? Could be wrong there....either way its the one I want to do the most. And luckily for me the obsession has subsided and I can get back to a focus on work and just "regular" triathlon training!


12 comments:

Matthew Smith said...

Dude, you killed it! I know the legs didn't feel it on the run because of a studly bike performance, but you still rocked it! 6:55's on a 10k? You da man! If you can do IMSG in those conditions, you can do anything!

it's all about pace said...

I could not even dream this

Swim - 1500 meters - 21:26 (1:19 / 100yd)

nicely done!

Johann said...

Awesome result, congratulations! You may be "coming off IM" but you did really great! You will kill the next one!

Ironman By Thirty said...

Cut the legs off your wetsuit about 3-5" up from the bottom. I just did this with mine (mainly because of the hole I ripped in it last year) and it makes getting it on/off so much easier. Did the same with the arms.

Awesome race! You smoked it out there!

Good luck with "regular" training!

I bet Kona starts to call your name again soon though! With your times, you are pretty close to qualifying.

Unknown said...

Great job buddy! Your swim has just gotten better and better over the years - really awesome to follow your progress!

Jon said...

SO FAST!!!

Jason said...

I can only laugh at that swim time as that is an imaginary number for me.

Great job out there and I just love that you know what you have to do and what to work on between now and 7 weeks from now.

Bryonman said...

Wow. DRog killing it ... and wanting to go faster.

And like others ... I can only dream of 1:19 per 100m. I think the fastest I have ever done 100m is 1:45.

That bike time - WTF man that is crazy!

6:55 pace for a 10k - come on Derek you smashed that run.

Go Go Go!

Simon said...

Dude, outstanding race, awesome swim time and yes you can still count IMSG as slowing you down.

I wouldn't want to be up against you in the summer races you'll cream them!

PS Put your chip under your wetsuit, that'll negate any catching and smother the chip, your ankles and bottom of wetsuit with Bodyglide (not vaseline it'll damage the suit).

Jill said...

I'm absolutely convinced that a poor diet affects running way more than other sports. I have no way to really measure that statement but it appears to me that when you have only your body to get you from point a to b, what you put in is crucial. Not that I pay particular attention to this - hahah. I'm about to change all that though! I am!

Anyway, nothing like a race not done to your potential to get you more motivated to do better the next round. I know you'll get the numbers you aim for in July...because that's what you DO best :). Can you qualify for Kona on a shorter than full Ironman distance? I have no clue. Will you be able to qualify at your race in July.

I want to do a full Ironman when I turn 50. That's next year, btw. I've been really thinking about it...Canada is high on my list. Hum. Will you be my coach!?!?

TriMOEngr said...

Speedy people like you never cease to amaze me.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats on the poduim finish