![]() |
| only pic I got was the standard pre race porta pottie shot... |
Since the Ironman last month I have been getting in some good training, but it has seemed really unorganized. I had always assumed I might have a good shot at a decent time in the marathon distance by following a rigid run training plan, accompanied with strict eating strategy. Wrong! I had an awesome run on Saturday at Grandma's...probably my best run ever.
Result - 3:12:03
10k - 42:12
13.1 - 1:31:09
19.3 - 2:17:06
29/445 AG
315/5787 OA
The race director sent out a blast email on Thursday warning everyone about the weather and possible Red Flag situation for race day. Grandma's has these street level to around 9ft high banners that are color coded with the corresponding Level of Risk written on the banner, and these appear at the beginning of every aid station. Because Duluth sits right on Lake Superior, the weather is often drastically different that what was expected.
In 08' at Grandma's it was expected to be a superb running day with cooler temps and the flags were Green at the beginning but Red at the halfway point, and then Black flags by the time I got to my final 10k of the day - but no one was expecting any hot conditions on that day.
Saturday morning I was expecting another hot run because of the RD's email, and so I was planning just a long, slow marathon run.
In the start corral I found my friend Charlie who has been training hard, and this would be his attempt #2 for him to try and crack a 3hr. in a marathon. I decided to follow Charlie and his buddy out of the gate for the first few miles.
The weather was perfect and I followed those guys up to about the 8mile marker....then I watched as they slowly distanced themselves and by mile 9 they were gone and I was on my own. I figured I would just suffer the consequence of going out with them and have fun the rest of the day. By mile 9 it was clear blue sky no wind ....and total sunshine. It was getting hot. It seemed like it was going to be as they predicted. I threw away my singlet and went shirtless at mile 10. I was still feeling pretty good.
splits for miles 1-10
6:56, 6:41, 6:41, 6:45, 6:47, 6:48 6:51, 6:58, 7:07, 6:48
I ran through the half way point of the marathon, which is the start of the half marathon(this year outnumbering the full). I noticed a slight tailwind here. And it was cool. Felt so awesome. At mile 14 I realized as I entered the aid station the banner was Green and read Low Risk. I again noticed there was still the slightest cool tailwind at times. Same thing through 15 ...and it was here at 15mi that I decided because of where I was at time-wise, and the fact that conditions were pretty awesome, that I better give it a shot at this run.
Then I lost my little tailwind! lol. But that was okay because it was now starting to get overcast and actually cool off just a little bit.
splits for miles 11-18 (post Charlie!)
7:12, 7:14, 7:11, 7:03, 7:10, 7:22, 7:31, 7:30
Miles 19 though 22 are all about getting ready to suck it up for Lemon Drop Hill. It's not as nasty as Summit Ave in TC Marathon but it can definitely suck the mojo out of what ever good thing you might have rolling. I spent these basically 4 miles getting ready to grind it out up to the downtown streets and allow myself no quitting and no walking. I was starting to see walkers. I was in this really odd spot....I basically had no one to work with or pace off. Any solo runner that passed me had too much going where I could not hang onto them....and anyone I passed I did not want to slow to their pace as it seemed they were out of juice. So I basically just got in my own world and ran from 19 to the base of Lemon Drop Hill and made my way up. After the hill to the finish it was a head down and run situation. Pushed all thoughts out of my head. Let any thinking and thought drain to my legs for power (Ironwar & Mark Allen)
Once I was closing in on the finish in the last two miles I knew I was going to do it. I was definitely hurting but at the same time it felt sooooo good. There is nothing quite like the satisfaction of running a great marathon!! The finish line at Grandmas Marathon was seriously seriously awesome and the best feeling ever for the final 200 meters... after for me what was a near flawless run race! FK YES
splits for miles 19-26.2
7:23, 7:39, 7:33, 7:36, 8:05, 8:12, 7:54, 8:15
PR by 19 minutes
Boston Qualify time by 3 minutes
To post a qualifying time under the new BQ standards for my AG (3:15) is just awesome. I thought my next step up in a marathon time I would squeeze in just under 3:20, the old BQ time for M40-44.... Actually over the last year I had wondered if maybe I was just a peak 3:30ish marathoner. The feeling of finishing one of these things off feels fantastic!
I have not cared one bit about actually running in Boston. But I have always wanted to post a BQ time. I would much rather run NYC, which I get to do this year! But I think I will try to give the sign up a chance, as I never know if I might have the shot again. It will be interesting to see if I get shut out because of the deferments and sliding scale sign ups ....if I get denied that would be some good complaint material!

13 comments:
Awesome Dude! That is one heck of a PR and I think it was you who told me I needed to go to Boston because it is the first year under the new qualifying standards and the jacket is badass --- so that means you have to go! haha!
Congrats!!!!!
I came by to see if I will see you in Tahoe...You know you want to!
But now I see a congrats is in order. Super marathon....PR...BQ....you're killing it this year!
Damn, don't you just love it when you have zero expectations and things just all fall into place and you have the race of your life!?!? That's fantastic, I am sooo happy for you. I hope you decide to run Boston...really, it's an experience unmatched like any others. The atmosphere just screams marathon everywhere you look.
Congratulations, sir...I am smiling big time here in Denver for you!!!
You're the man! That's was an amazing race, and you dominated it! Boston, get ready!!!
Congrats on the PR and the BQ
BQ baby!!!!
Those splits look awfully familiar to me.
Beginning: this isn't so bad.
Middle: Ok, starting to hurt, but I can hold on
End: DEAR GOD STOP THE PAIN!
Have fun in Boston!
HELLLLLLLL YEAH BUDDY!!!!!!
Holy crap that is totally awesome :)
I tell ya, when you relax and let things happen, you get rewarded. Consider this your reward!!!
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Way to go there DRog! Wow - scorching paces there man. Holy cow. Impressed.
What a day for you!!! Congrats on the PR and BQ!!!
Wow amazing! Great race, congrats!
That is a super result! Congratulations! I can only dream of running a time like that. Well done! Enjoy the feeling and some good rest.
Such a wonderful race. Congrats on the PR.BQ is indeed a good achievement.
goat weed
Post a Comment