Monday, September 12, 2011

Volunteering and Spectating at IMWI

Another GREAT experience Sunday volunteering, spectating and cheering about 15 people I knew racing Ironman Wisconsin. It was really amazing and powerful to experience the race firsthand on 9/11. I was told in the morning that a number of first responders had been awarded slots to race on the anniversary. Incredible.


I parked near the swim start and Monona Terrace and biked over to watch the start. Saw the boats and kayaks getting ready to head out to the swim course in Lake Monona.



Spotters gearing up




Walking up the up the terrace...a few interesting sights....some guy was hammering pushups...maybe this was his pre-game swim? Watched him do like 20 or so. Saw Kevin & his wife walking down to the start.



From the terrace looking down on the swim staging area




Beautiful morning....looking out at the swim start from the middle of the Monona Terrace ramp.

Looking at the early morning swim I couldn't help but think of a friend I met at our Wed. morning early morning open water swims. I first met Denny last year at the OWS, and this year he and I would chat after our swim about all things triathlon and Ironman, as he was training for his first full at the age of 65.




In early August he accompanied some friends and the host of our OWS to the 70.3 in Boulder, to watch and cheer them on. The Friday before the race he was out in the morning for a training ride on his bike. He had an accident. No cars were involved. It is believed he was going quite fast on a downhill and blew a tire, went over the handlebars, and crashed bad into his head. He was wearing his helmet, and it was working properly...and it was secured properly.




A vehicle saw him just after it happened and called paramedics. Denny was unconscious and airlifted to a hospital in Denver. He was on ventilators for a month. He never came out of it, and doctors advised his family based on the MRI and brain scans, infections, and complications that he would never be the same man he was, nor the man he wanted to be. The family had to make the decision to end the life support.




He was just on a training ride in prep for the Ironman.


He was supposed to be in Madison.



I have thought about him often over the past month, and my heart and thoughts go out to his family. So so sad and tragic.




Watching the Ironman swim was pretty awesome....it was interesting to see it unfold as a whole. After they were into it for about 5 minutes I headed to the top of the ramp to get a good spot overlooking transition. As I walked up the remaining part of the ramp an athlete was running down in their wetsuit! 5 minutes late! I heard the guy was able to start late....just in time. What a way to start the day.





The first male pro getting set to grab his bike. He led after the swim and also after the bike.




female pro getting to her bike



Age group racks. I had this awesome spot on the ledge overlooking transition with hardly anyone else around.






One of the local Tri clubs from around Madison had special kits made for 9-11.


At 8:30 CST overlooking transition on the top of the Terrace two fet fighters did a fly by. Gave me chills.





Got to my aid station on the run course around 11:30am to get set.








Under the bridge at mile 4 getting ready for the onslaught.




The lead pro male at mile 4. His five minute lead off the bike was down to three minutes at mile 4, and he was overtaken at mile 7 I think.






This pro actually stopped completely to enjoy the buffet at our aid station on his first lap.



Run aid station overlooking Lake Mendota



Saw this guy in full firefighter gear walking at about 5pm. He had on a race belt with a number. Not sure about his story




Kevin on the run toward the end of his day....making his way to the finish! Saw pretty much everyone I knew on the course. It's much easier to spot people on the run, compared to the bike aid station I did last year!

Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend!


13 comments:

Emz said...

love this!!!

I need to get to one of these IM's to watch IN person one day. Truly amazing.

So how different was it for you this year? KNOWING EXACTLY what they were going through?!?!

Jon said...

Thanks for volunteering and awesome that you got to see Kevin!

You signed up for next year?

Matthew Smith said...

That was a great spectator report. Thanks for all the pictures. I was pretty shocked to read about your friend that went down on the bike. Wow! Are you doing IMWI next year and wanted to volunteer to get a slot? I saw Kevin finish online, but it's cool you saw him on the run.

it's all about pace said...

nice report...

Caratunk Girl said...

Awesome volunteer report! :) How different was it to volunteer being an IM?

So so sad about Denny, such a terrible accident.

Jill said...

Such a big heart you have, I love how much you love volunteering.

Sooooo...make you yearning for a little IM next year, perhaps?!? :)

Kristin Bradfield said...

I looked for you every time I went through that aid station and never saw you! Bummer. I'm friends with a lot of the folks with the special 9-11 kit, nice group of people. And the firefighter did the entire marathon in his gear, he is a true hero. What an incredible day out there. It really renewed my love of this sport and this distance! Thanks for volunteering. You guys were truly amazing.

Lucas R. Tucker said...

Awesome experience!

Jason said...

Great report. I am doing it backwards from you in that I volunteered and will be racing after.

Love the pictures.

BTW - That firefighter was doing something for a 9/11 charity, I believe, and why he raced in his full gear for the marathon portion.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I agree with Jason, the firefighter wore his full gear for the marathon portion of the race for charity

Ironman By Thirty said...

Great post!

Thanks again for all the support on the course! It was awesome to see you out there. I was thinking about it and I think I pretty much saw someone I knew almost every mile of the course - crazy.

The guy in full firefighter gear was raising money for two charities. One was for first responders and the other was for organ donation. If (when) he crossed the finishline (around 16:15) Ironman matched the donations he was able to collect.

IMWI 2012????

Anonymous said...

Great post! I will keep the family of the 65 year old you mentioned in my prayers.

Thank you for your support on the course! The volunteers made my first IM such an awesome experience. I will never go to an IM to spectate without signing up to volunteer because all of the help out there really meant a lot!

Mandie said...

Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and we'll talk about it.

Thanks!

Mandie Hayes
mandie.hayes10@gmail.com